A 30-minute seafood recipe that tastes gourmet!
Seafood can be an acquired taste for some, which is why I consider myself lucky to have grown up eating it. Raised in a family of seafood lovers, I had no choice but to acquire a taste for it. There are plenty of ways to enjoy seafood, but I’ve recently discovered curry and coconut to be a dream team when it comes to seafood seasoning. These Curried Coconut Mussels pack powerful flavor with this savory combo.
There are plenty of reasons to love seafood. I’ve always loved shrimp and shellfish for their fun flavor and summery vibes. Growing up, we always had a huge crab dinner on the Fourth of July, and wielding a pair of crackers always brings back a host of summer memories.
As I’ve gotten older, I’ve started to appreciate some other aspects of seafood, too. Namely? Seafood tends to be low-cal and nutrient dense. Add in great flavor, and you’ve got the ideal food.
Mussels are no exception. These delicious shellfish are low in calories and fat but rich in protein and nutrients. Mussels boast high levels of vitamin B-12, selenium, and manganese. Meanwhile, they are also a rich source of other essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, iron, and potassium.
If you’ve never tried mussels before, they’re comparable to oysters and clams in flavor and texture. Any seafood lover will be a fan of this recipe, and these Curried Coconut Mussels may just win over some seafood skeptics, too.
Curry powder and coconut milk make this rich and savory sauce a perfect pairing for mussels. In this recipe, the mussels also cook alongside onion, garlic, and bell peppers.
As flavorful as this broth is, however, it is fairly light. I recommend ladling any extra sauce over the mussels when serving. This dish is delicious served all on its own, but can also be served over quinoa or brown rice for a filling meal.
This super simple recipe only takes 30 minutes to prep and cook, but its rich flavor and elegant presentation makes it seem gourmet. These Curried Coconut Mussels make an excellent dinner for a special occasion or romantic dinner. At the same time, the ease of this recipe makes it perfect for a busy weeknight, too.
If you’re a seafood lover, definitely try this curried coconut recipe. And if you like these mussels, I’d recommend trying this same flavor combo with some of your other favorite seafood recipes. It’s such a rich yet simple flavor that really brings out a new side of seafood.
Curried Coconut Mussels
- 2 tablespoons water more as needed
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced small
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced small
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 pounds mussels washed and cleaned
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- In a large skillet with high sides, heat the water, onion, bell pepper, and garlic on medium heat. Cook until onions are soft. If the water evaporates and the vegetables are sticking to the pan more water can be added.
- Stir in the pepper, curry powder, coconut milk, and vegetable broth. Whisk well to prevent lumps of curry powder in the broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and add the muscles. Cover and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until all the mussels are opened. Discard any unopened mussels.
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle with the chopped cilantro. If desired, serve over brown rice or quinoa. Serve and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
More Seafood Recipes:
A classic seafood dish that combines the spicy cajun flavors of gumbo with Italian seafood. If you like these Curried Coconut Mussels, you’ll love this classic dish of mussels, clams, and shrimp in a zesty tomato sauce.
A fresh seafood and vegetable dinner grilled Mediterranean style. Simple ingredients and fresh flavors make this recipe a light, healthy, and delicious way to enjoy seafood on the grill.