This platter of seafood & vegetables is as delicious and healthy as it is beautiful.
During grilling season, the irresistible aroma of food slowly cooking on the coals evokes a desire to share and enjoy outdoor meals. But let’s try moving away from traditional meaty and fattening options and go in a healthier and even more delicious direction. Try grilling seafood and vegetables the simplest and healthiest possible way, Mediterranean-style. We just need a bit of extra virgin olive oil and salt to compliment the natural flavors of the grilled items, but feel free to add some balsamic vinegar and garlic.
Mediterranean Grilled Seafood and Vegetable Platter
- 1 bell pepper large (preserved grilled peppers in bottles can also be used - 1/2 cup)
- 1 artichoke cleaned, chokes taken away and halved (preserved grilled artichokes in bottles can also be used - 1/2 cup)
- 1 eggplant sliced lengthwise
- 1 zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, finely chopped
- 1 pound whole fish gutted but with scales on
- 2 to 4 shrimp large
- 2 squid medium or 1 large
- Artichokes and bell peppers need more time in cooking so cook them much ahead or just use bottled ones that that are preserved in oil.
- If you are using fresh artichokes steam them first for about 20 minutes before putting them on the grill. After grilling, cut them to quarters.
- The pepper should be grilled whole, with the skin and seeds intact. When it is cooked and look charred, put it in an airtight container for about 30 minutes or until the skin easily slips away from the pulp. In this case, take away the skin and the seeds inside then slice.
- On the grill, cook the eggplant and the zucchini until cooked through. In a small bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar,1/4 teaspoon salt, garlic and parsley. Pour this mixture on the grilled vegetables and mix. Set aside.
- Grill in order: fish, squid and the shrimp. When they are cooked, drizzle them with remaining extra virgin olive oil and the salt. Arrange the grilled seafood and vegetables on a big platter and serve immediately.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
You will love our other amazing healthy grilled recipes:
Southwest Grilled Chicken with Corn and Bean Relish
Mediterranean Grilled Chicken and Vegetables
Grilled Asparagus, Green Apple, and Zucchini Salad
Grilled Eggplant Caprese with Garlicky White Bean Puree
Grilled Peaches with Cinnamon, Vanilla, and Honey
Grilled Halibut with Corn Coconut Curry Sauce and Grilled Cherry Tomato Chutney by Bobby Flay
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.