Vegetable soup can be a healthy meal, but it can get kind of boring after a while. If you’re tired of sifting through soup recipes looking for something different, then this sweet and spicy coconut vegetable soup recipe is sure to hit the spot. Made with brown rice, black beans, and an array of vegetables spiced with curry powder, this is one of those healthy soups that will stay on the top of your list. It’s also easy to make in your slow cooker, so you can start it in the morning, and come home to a delicious and healthy meal with little effort. If you want to skip the step of sautéing the veggies, you can throw everything in the slow cooker for an even easier meal.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup |Calories: 423| Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 84 mg | Carbohydrates: 50 g | Dietary Fiber: 15 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 20 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 12 ounces chopped kale or spinach
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, followed by the leeks and celery. Cook for 4-5 minutes until soft and add the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds and add the sweet potatoes. Cook for about 2 more minutes until potatoes are slightly browned. Add the kale or spinach and the curry powder and combine until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer this mixture to your slow cooker.
- Add the black beans and vegetable broth and turn the slow cooker on low heat. Cook for 2-3 hours on low. About 15-20 minutes before serving, add the brown rice, coconut milk and lime juice. Continue to cook until flavors are combined. Taste, season with more salt and pepper if desired and serve.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.