There’s nothing quite as comforting as a hot bowl of soup on a chilly night. This curried sweet potato soup recipe blends sweet and spicy for a tantalizing medley of flavors. Made with rich spices, creamy coconut milk, and a hint of lime juice, it’s exotic and comforting all at once.
Preparing our recipe is a breeze. All you have to do is add the ingredients one by one, cook to perfection, top with cilantro and coconut, and serve! The dish makes a perfect complementary side or hearty solo meal. The nutrient-packed, vegetarian ingredient list means the whole family can savor the heavenly flavor.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 246 | Total Fat: 18 g | Saturated Fat: 9 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 54 mg | Carbohydrates: 19 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 2 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11 |
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 15-ounce can light coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until soft.
- Add garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add sweet potatoes, stir, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in spices and cook for about a minute.
- Add coconut milk.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat for 20-25 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Using either an immersion blender or regular blender, puree soup until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer back to pot and add lime juice.
- Top with chopped cilantro and coconut.
Adored the recipe? Ready for more from the SkinnyMs. kitchens? Let us know! Join the conversation and leave a comment below about this article or anything else on the site.