A spicy, flavorful, healthy Mexican dish with only six ingredients? This easy-prep chicken quesadilla is perfect for hectic weeknights or rushed lunches. The whole family will enjoy the flavor of cheddar or monterey jack cheese combined with salsa and nonfat Greek yogurt or sour cream. Whole grain tortillas add fiber to this protein-rich meal, making it a satisfying go-to recipe.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving size: 1 quesadilla | Calories: 476 | Total Fat: 17 g | Saturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 39 mg | Sodium: 329 mg | Carbohydrates: 54 g | Dietary fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 26 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 14
- 8 whole wheat or whole grain tortillas
- 1 cup chopped/shredded cooked chicken breasts, skin and bones removed (rotisserie or leftover chicken may be used)
- 3/4 cup shredded low fat cheddar, monterey jack, or quesillo (a Mexican string cheese) cheese
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt or nonfat sour cream
- 3/4 cup Tex Mex Salsa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add half of the olive oil to coat a pan over medium heat. Add 2 whole wheat tortillas (or as many as will fit in the pan), cover with an even layer of the cheese and the chicken breast meat, and top with a second tortilla. Optionally, the salsa may be added to the shredded chicken and cooked with the quesadilla, rather than served on top after it is cooked.
- Once the tortillas are golden brown on one side, carefully flip until golden brown on the other side. Remove tortillas and place on a platter. Repeat with second batch. Top with sour cream/ Greek yogurt and salsa to serve.