When you don’t have time for the beach, bring the beach to you! These mouth-watering Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs are nothing but delicious tropical flavor. This finger food recipe is so simple to make, the whole family can join in without worrying about any messes. Perfect for your next backyard barbecue, this recipe only requires some chicken, a few veggies, and a whole lot of seasoning. The key ingredient is the pineapple juice that brings an island flair. This little kick compliments the honey well and goes great with the spice of the crushed red peppers. Once the chicken is marinated, you can line the skewer with any combination of veggies and meat. The last step is to cook the kebob over the grill for rotisserie-style tenderness.
Serve up this kebob alongside a plate of brown rice or enjoy it on it’s own! Either way, this dish is going to be the talk of the town at your next backyard get-together. What better way is there to ring in the summer weather?
Yields: 5 servings | Serving Size: 2 skewers | Calories: 422 | Total Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 132mg | Sodium: 1102mg | Carbohydrates: 38g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 28g | Protein: 45g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup cool water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flaked
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into large cubes
- 3 cups fresh pineapple, cut into large cubes
- 2 large green peppers, cut into large cubes
- 1 large red onion, cut into large cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 10 large wood or metal kebob skewers (if using wood soak in water for 20 minutes before using)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine tomato paste, molasses, honey, soy sauce, pineapple juice, vinegar, garlic, ginger, oil, water, and red pepper. Whisk well.
- Place cut chicken into an air tight container. Reserve 1/2 cup of the sauce and pour the remainder over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and being skewering the kebobs. Place one piece of chicken onto the kebab, leave about 1/2 inch of skewer showing at the end. Follow chicken with pineapple, green pepper, and red onion. Repeat until skewer is full, again leave about 1/2 inch of skewer showing on the second end. Repeat process on remaining skewers.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Drizzle prepared skewers with olive oil and salt. Place on grill and cook for about 5 minutes then brush along tops with 1/4 cup of the reserved sauce. Turn over skewers and brush with more sauce and grill about 4 minutes longer, or until chicken is firm and reaches 165 degrees on a meat thermometer. Serve hot with brown rice or quinoa.
We’d love to hear what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.