Mmmm… Here’s something just a bit sweet, but not too sweet! And maybe just a bit tangy, but not sour. Something you can have for breakfast or for a snack that’s fun and feels indulgent, but really isn’t that bad after all. What could this unlikely treat be? Well, it’s the SkinnyMs. Cranberry Scones recipe!
A healthy scone recipe, you say? Is that even possible? It is! And, as usual, leave it to SkinnyMs. to have found the healthy solution for you. We try. These cranberry scones are unlike any other you’ve ever tried, we’re sure of it. We’ve replaced refined white flour and white sugar with whole wheat flour and coconut palm sugar, and we’ve used coconut oil instead of cholesterol-filled butter. The end result is a clean eating treat you’ll never know is as healthy as it is!
What else is so great about the SkinnyMs. healthy scone recipe? It’s quick and easy to make! There are very few ingredients and you can go about your day while you’re waiting for the cranberries to plump and the coconut oil to solidify. Once you’ve mixed and shaped your cranberry scones, a mere 15-17 minutes in the oven will bake them to golden perfection. And you’re done! Just in time too, because your mouth is watering, isn’t it?
Yields: 10 servings | Serving Size: 1 scone | Calories: 245 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 6 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Sodium: 279 mg | Cholesterol: 3 mg | Carbohydrates: 42 g | Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 19 g | Protein: 5 g| SmartPoints: 11 |
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 5 tablespoons solid coconut oil, see instructions
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, plus 1 tablespoon for brushing over scones
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries, optional currants
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place measured coconut oil in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until solid all of the way through. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Using a fork or hands, cut in coconut oil until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and stir just until moistened. Gently fold in cranberries, just until combined or dough leaves the side of the bowl.
- Turn dough onto a working surface, lightly dusted with flour. Use hands to shape dough into a 1" thickness. Use a biscuit cutter, dip in flour, and cut into 10 biscuit shapes or using a knife, cut into rectangle shapes. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet (or a nonstick cookie sheet).
- Brush scones with buttermilk. Bake until golden, about 15- 17 minutes. Allow to cool a bit before serving. Enjoy!
Get clean eating recipes, innovative new workouts, and healthy lifestyle tips delivered right to your inbox with our newsletter! And for even more SkinnyMs., check out our Facebook and Pinterest to stay informed!
We need your feedback! Go to the comments section to let us know what you think of this article, and tell us what you’d like to see more of!