This easy flat bread pesto pizza recipe uses a quick homemade pesto that gives it a hefty dose of flavor. A little low-fat shredded mozzarella makes it feel indulgent. When choosing flatbread, select a whole wheat variety that is high in fiber and low in sugar. A fresh sliced summer tomato is the perfect addition to make a quick and flavorful meal.
Yields: 2 servings | Serving Size: 1 pita|Calories: 323| Total Fat: 32 g | Saturated Fat: 6 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 405 mg | Carbohydrates: 21 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 13 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 6-inch whole wheat pita or flatbreads
- 1 small heirloom tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded low fat mozzarella
- Preheat a broiler to high heat.
- Put the basil, pine nuts, garlic, cheese, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until well chopped and then drizzle in the olive oil while the machine is running. Continue processing until smooth.
- Lay the flat breads on a baking sheet. Divide the pesto mixture between the two flat breads. Top with the tomatoes and cheese, and broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve.
We’d love to hear what you thought of this Easy Flat Bread Pesto Pizza Recipe. Leave us a comment in the comments section below. If you enjoyed this pizza recipe, you may also like this Zucchini Crusted Pizza!