Whether you consider yourself a pro chef or a kitchen novice, we guarantee you’ll nail this simple dish. With just 5 pretty basic ingredients, our budget friendly recipe won’t have you rummaging through your cabinets for the right materials. Meanwhile, with fun, easy-to-follow instructions, you’ll have this gorgeous meal ready to serve in no time. Enjoy these easy, 5-ingredient stuffed peppers for dinner tonight!
A Saving Grace When You’re In a Dinner Rut
When choosing which color bell pepper to use for this dish, it really comes down to your personal preferences. No two colored peppers taste the same, and each carries its own distinct flair. For example, the green guys offer robust flavor and a bitter kick, while red and orange peppers taste much sweeter.
If you don’t have a preference, use a variety of different colored peppers! The multi-colored touch will give your dinner table an eye-catching presentation, popping with vibrancy.
Next comes the fun part! Shell out the insides of the peppers, keeping the vegetables in tact. Combine ground turkey, cooked quinoa, salsa, and cheese together, and a dash of salt and pepper for flavor. Afterwards, stuff each pepper with this mouthwatering mixture, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of each pepper.
After baking for 25-30 minutes, feel free to add additional toppings to your peppers for a fabulous finishing touch. Sliced avocado, cilantro, and fat-free sour cream make delicious add-ons.
Bring On the Flavor and the Nutrition
This stuffed pepper dish gives you everything you need in a well-balanced meal. First, the bell peppers offer a great deal of health benefits you can feel proud of. These vitamin-rich veggies are low calorie, packed with vitamin C, and an excellent source of iron, folate, and fiber.
Meanwhile, quinoa contains all 9 essential amino acids your body needs to function at its best. This superfood also boasts a high fiber and magnesium content, which can help reduce blood sugar levels. Additionally, the antioxidants in quinoa may fight off diseases and have an anti-inflammatory impact, according to research.
Learn more about this powerful superfood by checking out 6 Health Benefits of Quinoa.
The Perfect Pairings for Your Stuffed Pepper Dish
Finally, the ground turkey and grated cheese pack that protein punch your body needs to feel full and satisfied for hours afterwards. And this recipe calls for fat-free cheddar, a tasty, ooey gooey cheese that wont wreak havoc on your waistline.
You can dish these beautiful peppers up by themselves, or build your dinner around them. We love serving stuffed peppers with a colorful side salad or a cooked veggie. If you’re craving some starch in your dinner spread, roasted potatoes would make a tasty, clean-eating option.
These Effortless 5-Ingredient Stuffed Peppers make a Great Budget-Friendly Family Meal
- 6 whole bell peppers
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa rinsed and strained
- 1 pound lean ground turkey cooked
- 1 cup salsa
- 1.5 cup low fat cheddar or mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare peppers by removing and discarding tops and insides, keeping peppers intact.
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add quinoa and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is fully absorbed.
- Mix ground turkey, cooked quinoa, salsa, salt and peppers, and 1 cup cheese until combined. Stuff each peppers with the mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese along with any other topping of choice (avocado, cilantro, etc) on top of each pepper and cook for 25-30 minutes.
Choosing a nutritious dish to compliment the main course means serving up flavor variety without compromising your health goals. Here are some of our favorites to pair with these 5-ingredient stuffed peppers:
- Crunchy Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad with Creamy Dijon Dressing
- Roasted Sweet Potato and Mango Salad
- Rosemary Roasted Potatoes and Vegetables