Versatile oats are not just for breakfast.
Oats are one of the most versatile foods on the planet. Oats are highly nutritious, packed with vitamins, and come with a distinctive roasted flavor. You can work this superfood into countless recipes due to their wonderful texture and invisibility. Oats strengthen (but don’t overpower) the flavor of a dish. They’re a perfect base ingredient for a variety of tasty meals, including dinner recipes.
We’re here to share the bounty of the oat – with a Skinny Ms. twist! Oats often get drowned in cinnamon and sugar, turning them sickly sweet. We’ve revitalized oats with hot new life. Zesty splashes of cumin, chili powder, and pepper give the mild oats a spicy kick. We’ve cooked up everything from Breakfast Pizza to Cheesy Casserole – and much more! You won’t believe you’re snacking on this superfood grain in every delicious recipe listed below. With this amazing Everything Fiesta Black Bean & Oats recipe, the only limit is your imagination (and your bag of oats). 😉
Everything Fiesta Black Beans & Oats
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup salsa no sugar added
- 15 ounces black beans can, drained
- 1 cup whole kernel corn frozen or fresh (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a medium pot or skillet, bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce to a low-boil, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook 25 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave the covered pot on the burner for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
TIPS FOR SERVING:
- QUESADILLA - Spread 1/2 cup over a 6-inch whole-grain flour tortilla, sprinkle with 1/4 cup (reduced-fat) shredded cheddar, cover with another tortilla and bake in a 400-degree oven for 15 minutes. Using a pizza cutter or knife, slice in half or fourths and serve hot.
- BURRITO - Add 1/4 cup filling to the center of a 6-inch flour tortilla, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon (reduced-fat) shredded cheddar cheese. Tightly roll the tortilla and fold under on one end. If desired, top with shredded lettuce, diced tomato, and a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- CASSEROLE - Add cooked filling to a casserole pan, sprinkle with the desired amount of (reduced-fat) shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with foil and bake in a 375-degree oven until cheese is melted and filling is heated through, approximately 25 minutes.
- BURGER - Allow filling to cool, then refrigerate until thickened, about one hour. For individual burgers, add 1/2 cup cooked filling in a mixing bowl, mash well with a fork. Add 2 tablespoons (reduced-fat) shredded cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs, stir to combine. Note: Add additional panko if needed to hold the mixture together. Form mixture into a round patty. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil to a non-stick skillet, over medium heat cook patty on both sides until browned and heated through, about 4 minutes per side. Serve on a wheat bun with favorite condiments.
- DIP - Serve as a dip with homemade or whole-grain tortilla chips. Here's our recipe for Easy Whole Grain Pita Chips.
- ENCHILADA - Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Add 1/4 cup cooked filling to a (warm) 6-inch corn tortilla, sprinkle filling with 1 tablespoon (reduced-fat) shredded cheddar cheese. Roll tortilla tightly, fold one end under, place seam side down in a casserole dish, add 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, 1/4 cup cheese, cover with foil and bake 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and enchilada is heated through. Serve topped with shredded lettuce, diced tomato, sour cream, or Greek yogurt.
- BREAKFAST PIZZA - Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Spread 1/2 cup filling over a 6-inch tortilla, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons (reduced-fat) shredded cheddar cheese, Place on a parchment-lined cooking sheet, and bake 15 minutes. While the tortilla is in the oven prepare the egg. Heat a skillet greased with 2 teaspoons olive oil on medium heat, just hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Break one large egg and gently add to the skillet. Immediately reduce heat to low. Cook slowly until white is completely set and yolk begins to thicken but is not hard. Remove tortilla and place the warm egg on top and season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve immediately.
- NACHOS - Add a 5 to 6 ounce bag of whole-grain tortilla chips to a casserole pan. Top chips with cooked filling, add 1 cup (reduced-fat) shredded cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup sliced jalapeño peppers. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes. Top with 1/2 cup ( fat-free) sour cream or Greek yogurt. Optional toppings after removing from the oven: green onions, black olives, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce.
- MEXICAN PIZZA - Preheat oven to 400-degrees. Spread 1/2 cup cooked filling over a 6-inch tortilla, sprinkle with 1/4 cup (reduced-fat) cheddar cheese, place on a parchment-lined cooking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Get clean eating recipes, innovative new workouts, and healthy lifestyle tips delivered right to your inbox with our newsletter! And for even more Skinny Ms., check out our Facebook and Pinterest to stay informed!
We need your feedback! Go to the comments section to let us know what you think of this article, and tell us what you’d like to see more of!