These holiday treats are sweet indulgences that your friends and family will never guess are comprised of 100% clean ingredients! When you let guests know that they can treat themselves without the guilt, they’ll immediately ask for the recipe! Made with whole wheat flour and coconut palm sugar, there are no refined ingredients here. And the delicious, sweet, spiciness of ginger and cinnamon makes each cookie’s flavor sing!
Yields: 40 cookies | Serving size: 1 cookie | Calories: 78 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 5 mg | Sodium: 53 mg | Carbohydrates: 12 g | Dietary fiber: 0 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 1 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4 |
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice (optional, cloves)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar, plus a little more for rolling
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses or sorghum
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or use a nonstick cookie sheet.
- Sift together flour, salt, and spices in medium bowl, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat coconut oil and sugar until a creamy consistency and well combined. Add in egg, molasses, and water and beat just until combined. Stir in the dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon until incorporated. Allow dough to rest 10 minutes at room temperature before shaping.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls, roll balls in additional sugar, place on parchment paper, and slightly flatten with fingers or bottom of a glass. Leave about 1-inch between cookies.
- TIP: For more festive cookies roll in Turbinado sugar which has larger crystals.
- Bake for 10 minutes for softer cookies and 12 minutes for crispier cookies. Leave on cookie sheet about 4-5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. For best results, do not refrigerate.