Turn chicken into tender, fall-off-the-bone heaven!
This healthy chicken stew will become your new favorite, as soon as you taste the tender, juicy, flavorful meat that braising yields. A heavy, coated cast iron pot works well for this cooking method, and will handle the high heat well. We recommend using organic chicken thighs for this nutritious chicken recipe for two reasons. They’re cheaper than breasts (organic meat gets expensive) and the higher fat content adds more flavor and moisture to the meat, resulting in fall-off-the-bone heaven!
*This recipe was contributed by Amee from Amee’s Savory Dish. She is completely obsessed with recipe makeovers! Amee is a southern girl raised in South Carolina and currently lives in the Atlanta, GA area with her husband and two children. She is a Crossfit trainer, children’s book author, foodie, recipe creator and devoted mom and wife. Amee loves to find new ways to make all of her favorite family recipes more nutritious.
Greek Chicken Stew with Cauliflower Rice
Ingredients for the Stew
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 to 8 boneless chicken thighs trimmed, skin on
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning I use one from Spice & Tea Exchange
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced, plus 3-4 whole cloves of garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons oregano fresh or dried, finely chopped if fresh
- 1 cup organic chicken stock not broth, you want the rich flavor from the stock
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers drained
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes in olive oil, chopped
Ingredients for the Cauliflower Rice
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt, pepper and Greek seasoning.
- Cook chicken, skin side down for 3 minutes, flip and add onion, garlic (minced and whole), lemon juice and oregano. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, olives, red peppers, capers and sun-dried tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then cover and transfer to the oven to cook for another 25 minutes. Remove from oven and serve over cauliflower "rice" (see recipe below).
Instructions for the Cauliflower Rice
- Boil cauliflower for 8 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Return to pan and add oil, salt, and pepper and mash gently with a fork until cauliflower resembles rice.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What’s your favorite healthy chicken recipe? We’d love to read about it in the comments below.