For all the sweet potato lovers, this is a must-try!
If you’re a fan of sweet potatoes, you need this recipe in your life. These grilled sweet potato steaks with balsamic glaze are just as good as they sound! Don’t let the name deter you, this dish is 100% vegetarian. Plus, it has a rich and healthy nutrient profile everyone can enjoy.
The “meat” of the meal is, as you may have guessed, sweet potatoes! Unlike most sweet potato dishes, this one is prepared with the peel on. Simply cook the sweet potatoes in hot water and prepare the glaze separately. Once the potatoes have cooled down, peel, slice, and brush over with glaze. The butter, coconut palm sugar, and red pepper flakes in the glaze marinate into the sweet potato slices as it cooks on the grill. This way the dish can be served hot and if you like, you can top it off with some more glaze. This dish uses natural ingredients, so there is no reason to feel guilty while indulging in this meal.
Grilled Sweet Potato Steaks with Balsamic Glaze
- 3 sweet potatoes medium, long potatoes work well, scrubbed (do not peel)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure butter
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place whole potatoes, with peeling, in a large pot, add enough water to cover potatoes, sprinkle with salt. Bring water to a rolling boil. Once the water starts boiling, continue boiling for 6 minutes.
- Using tongs immediately place potatoes in a large bowl of ice water, in order to stop the cooking process. In the meantime, add all glaze ingredients to a small pot and heat over low just until butter is melted, coconut sugar dissolved, and it begins to thicken slightly.
- Once potatoes are cool, after about 10 minutes, remove from water. Place potatoes on a cutting board, remove peelings and slice each potato in half lengthwise. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Turn grill to medium, brush glaze on top of potatoes and grill for 6 minutes. Turn potatoes over and brush with more glaze. Continue grilling 6 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork and grill marks are visible.
- Remove potatoes from grill and spread remaining glaze over hot potato steaks. Allow to set 3-5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms