Tilapia is a versatile fish that is low in fat and calories, and easy to cook. To make it extra flavorful, while keeping fat and calories in check, top this grilled tilapia with garlic and mushrooms. It’s quick to prepare, which makes it an easy weeknight meal, yet it’s also light and filling. When served with a green vegetable and side salad, this tilapia becomes a healthy meal everyone will love.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 tilapia filet and 1/2 cup mushrooms|Calories: 298| Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 111 mg | Sodium: 610 mg | Carbohydrates: 2 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 44 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 4 tilapia filets
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tamari, or soy sauce, or coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium high heat.
- Lay each of the fish filets on a piece of foil large enough to wrap them in (or wrap 2 filets) and brush with the olive oil. Drizzle the lime juice over the filets and season with the salt and pepper.
- Lay the foil packets on the hot grill and grill until cooked through, about 10 minutes, turning the packet about halfway through.
- While the fish is cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat and add the sesame oil, garlic and mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tamari and continue cooking until liquid is evaporated.
- To serve, top the grilled fish with the mushrooms, and garnish with the cilantro and fennel seeds.