The signature flared Hasselback potato gets a sweet and savory twist with this delicious sweet potato side.
There’s no shortage of ways to enjoy sweet potatoes. But just in case you needed a new one anyway, these Hasselback Molasses Sweet Potatoes may be your new go-to.
Hasselback potatoes are a fun twist on the traditional baked potato, and make for a pretty impressive side dish. The perfect combo of all your favorite potato preparation styles, the Hasselback is basically the potato lover’s dream. Thin slices are the perfect combo of crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. Meanwhile, the whole thing packs all the goodness of a hearty, filling baked potato.
This recipe brings the Hasselback to the sweet potato. Baked with soy and molasses, this impressive side is the perfect savory sweet way to serve sweet potatoes.
Mastering the Hasselback
Good news, it’s not as hard as it sounds (or looks). This side may look impressive, or even downright fancy, but it’s actually super easy to make.
Also called accordion potatoes or sometimes (questionably) “pillbug potatoes,” this distinctive flared potato has Swedish origins. With its crispy flared slices and perfectly soft insides, I think it’s fair to say the Swedes effectively reinvented the potato with this one.
To craft this perfect potato, slice width-wise along the potato in thin slices, about 1/8th inch. Slice just over half-way through the potato, being sure to leave the bottom intact.
Next comes the initial fat/oil application. For these Hasselback Molasses Sweet Potatoes, we use a flavorful (and fragrant) brush of olive oil, coconut oil, garlic, and thyme. Brush the sweet potatoes with the oil mixture, making sure to get the oil between the slices. Bake the potatoes for forty-five minutes.
Once baked, run a fork along the tops of the potatoes to fully separate the slices and achieve that signature Hasselback flare. Pour the savory-sweet molasses and soy sauce mixture over the potatoes, allowing it to seep between each slice. Return the potatoes to the oven and cook for an additional fifteen minutes. When you pull them out, you’ll have the perfect Hasselback sweet potatoes: tender on the inside, crispy on the outside, with a slight caramelization on the edges from the molasses. Perfection.
Serve and Enjoy
These potatoes are perfect for any meal, big or small, casual or classy, weeknight or holiday dinner. These warm, sweet and savory Hasselback Molasses Sweet Potatoes are particularly good for the fall and winter months, but they’re sure to impress anytime.
Seeped between every slice, the sweet and savory flavors of these sweet potatoes certainly speak for themselves. No need for additional toppings. However, if a baked potato just isn’t a baked potato without a dollop of something fresh and cool, try topping these sweet potatoes with plain Greek yogurt for a cool, creamy finish.
Hasselback Molasses Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes small to medium
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme fresh, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Wash and dry each sweet potato. Carefully cut slices along the length of the potato, about 1/8 inch between each slice, and place on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut oil, olive oil, garlic, and thyme. Mix well. Brush the sweet potatoes with the mixture making sure the oil mixture is brushed between the slices. Bake the potatoes for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the soy sauce and molasses. Once the potatoes have baked for 45 minutes, remove them from the oven. Gently run a fork across the tops of the potatoes to separate the slices and fan them. Pour then molasses mix over top. Return the potatoes to the oven and bake for 15 more minutes or until tender on the inside and crisp on the outside.
- Serve hot!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Need more tips, tricks and recipes? Get a dose of healthy living inspiration delivered straight to your inbox when you sign up for our Newsletter!