Serve it as a yummy side dish to almost any protein, or add polish sausage to make it a hearty meal.
Pierogi are traditionally delicious and rich little stuffed dumplings. Unfortunately, they’re also pretty unhealthy for any low-fat diet. So, if you want all the traditional flavors you love without the extra fat and calories, look no further than our Healthy Pierogi Casserole recipe. Since we don’t deep-fry these ingredients, you have less to worry about! We’ve layered sliced potatoes with a sauerkraut and reduced fat cheese mixture before finally topping it with more cheese! Garlic, onions, and spices add a depth of flavor to this slimmed-down dish.
When it’s ready, serve with a dollop of low-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of fresh green onions. Serve it as a yummy side dish to almost any protein, or add polish sausage to make it a hearty meal.
Healthy Pierogi Casserole
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 green onions diced
- 1 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese reduced-fat
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee, softened
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 potatoes sliced
- Greek yogurt or sour cream, to serve on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 9 x 13-inch casserole. Mix together sauerkraut, onion, garlic, 1 cup cheddar, butter or ghee, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Layer the casserole with one layer of potato slices, cover with 1/4 sauerkraut mixture, then repeat until everything is layered. Potatoes should be the top layer. Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and green onion slices. Bake 10 minutes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Other recipes you might like:
What are your favorite kinds of casseroles? What do you think of this one? Let us know in the comments section below!