Protein backed soup low in calories and high in flavor.
Hearty Lentil and Vegetable Soup makes the perfect weeknight meal. It’s easy to cook and stuffed with wonderful nutrients your body needs. This recipe merges the flavorful, soul-soothing taste of vegetable soup with hearty, protein-packed lentils. The meatless soup also incorporates warm, chewy vegetables and delicious garnishes.
Lentils top the charts when it comes to superfoods. These small but mighty members of the legume family offer a host of health benefits, including stabilizing blood sugar levels and lowering cholesterol. This lentil and vegetable soup is the perfect meal to whip up on a chilly day, certain to satisfy any hunger pains.
Hearty Lentil and Vegetable Soup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable, low-sodium (1 quart)
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add carrots, celery, and onions to olive oil in the bottom of a medium soup pot. Cook for about 5 minutes until onions are softened and translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add broth, lentils, bay leaf, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 25 to 30 minutes, until lentils are cooked through and vegetables have softened. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What soups would you like to see on Skinny Ms.? Let us know!