Whenever we scour the Internet for delicious, Asian-inspired recipes to fulfill our cravings for tangy, sweet fare, we often become discouraged by long lists of expensive, hard-to-find ingredients. Many home cooks have trouble attempting Asian dishes because spending money on a dozen ingredients that may only be used once or twice can seem daunting. Luckily, we’ve concocted a delightful Hoisin Chicken, which captures the elements of Asian cooking we’re looking for, without demanding that we spend half of our paycheck, and several hours in the kitchen, in order to procure and prepare the right ingredients.
The sauce is made from just five ingredients, including Hoisin sauce, garlic, soy sauce, cayenne pepper, and rice wine. The Hoisin, soy sauce, and rice wine are easy to find in the Asian section of your local grocery store, and can be used in a variety of dishes. Mix these five together, and coat your chicken with this flavorful sauce before baking. It’s that simple…just two steps! When the chicken is done, garnish with scallions and serve!
Having friends and family over for dinner? They’ll think you toiled in the kitchen for hours over this highly presentable dish. Serve on a bed of brown rice, or noodles, and you’ll have a complete, Asian-inspired meal that will impress guests. And since it’s easy enough to prepare on a weeknight, you may find yourself whipping this one up more frequently than you think!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe | Calories: 220 | Total Fat: 6 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 95 mg | Sodium: 153 mg | Carbohydrates: 15 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 8 g | Protein: 24 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 1 pound skinless chicken thighs (with bone or boneless), or thighs and drumsticks
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions (white part, roots discarded, and green parts reserved for garnish)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons rice wine (not rice vinegar) or sherry
- ¼ cup chopped scallions (green part), for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients besides the chicken thighs and green scallions. Once the sauce is fully mixed, add the chicken pieces and fully coat with the sauce on all sides.
- Place chicken in a baking dish that has been thinly coated with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Cook for 20- 25 minutes, uncovered, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F when taking with a meat thermometer (or until chicken is cooked through).
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and allow the chicken to rest, 10 minutes, covered before serving.
- Serve garnished with green scallions. Serve suggestions include serving with steamed rice or quinoa and a vegetable.
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on all things SkinnyMs.