This makes the best pizza sauce!
Pizza sauce, a spread, pasta sauce, the possibilities are endless with this outrageously delicious recipe. Try using Homemade “Canned” Tomato Paste in recipes calling for canned tomato paste or tomato sauce. We like to spread a little on artisan bread, sprinkle with feta, parmesan or mozzarella cheese and toast. Be sure to check out our recipe for Homemade “Canned” Tomato Paste.
Homemade "Canned" Tomato Paste
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and cored
- 1 orange bell pepper seeded and cored
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup fresh sweet basil packed
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut bell peppers into fourths and place on a cookie sheet lined with foil, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Roast 20 minutes. Remove bell peppers from the oven and immediately place in a large bowl covered with foil. Allow peppers to steam for 2 to 3 minutes. The peelings should easily come off once cooled. Discard peelings.
- While bell peppers are roasting, add sun-dried tomatoes, along with oil from the jar, and garlic to a medium skillet, sauté on medium-low heat until tomatoes soften up, about 4 minutes. Add basil, toss just until wilted, remove from heat, drain oil and add vinegar, stir to combine. Cool 5 minutes.
- Add cooled roasted bell peppers, black pepper and sun-dried tomato mixture to a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are combined and sauce is a smooth consistency. Store sauce in a glass jar with lid in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms