Nothing beats a bowl of Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup... except maybe ours.
You don’t need the sniffles on a rainy day to enjoy a steaming bowl of Homemade Chicken Soup! Soup isn’t reserved for times when you feel sick. It makes a mouthwatering, belly-warming meal anytime, anywhere.
This soup calls for clean, nutrient-rich ingredients like soft carrots and decadent potatoes. Throw in some fragrant herbs like parsley and thyme for delicious flavors from the garden, and pair with chewy peas and aromatic diced onion. Best of all, the tender chunks of chicken absorb juices from the veggies and spices, releasing bold flavor your taste buds will love.
This comforting soup truly soothes the soul. It’s packed with protein and bursts with health benefits and deliciousness.
Homemade Chicken Soup
- 3 chicken breasts bone-in and skin on, rinsed
- 4 whole garlic cloves peeled
- 5 carrots peeled and chopped, divided
- 2 celery stalks large, chopped
- 1 onion small, cut into large pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup celery leaves from the celery head
- 4 to 5 whole parsley with stems and leaves, cleaned
- 3 whole thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion small, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 yukon potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon thyme fresh, chopped
- 2 cups peas frozen
- 1/2 lemon juiced (optional)
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- Place a pot over high heat. Add 8-10 cups water, chicken breasts, 4 whole garlic cloves, 1/3 of the carrots, all of the celery, the large onion pieces, bay leaf, celery leaves, whole parsley, whole thyme, and the pepper.
- Bring just to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Using a colander set over a pot or large bowl, dump in broth so the colander catches all of the large ingredients and save the broth. Remove chicken and allow to cool on a plate so it will be cool enough for shredding. Discard skin.
- Shred chicken with two forks or hands when cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, rinse the empty stockpot. Add olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions and carrots. Sauté for 5 to 8 minutes, until the onion has softened and is translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add stock, potatoes, salt, and chopped thyme. Allow to cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add peas and shredded chicken. Add lemon juice to serve, if desired, and sprinkle with parsley.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Have a favorite ingredient you’d like to see featured on the site? Let us know! Leave us a comment below.