You don’t need the sniffles on a rainy day to enjoy a steaming bowl of Homemade Chicken Soup! Soup isn’t reserved for times when you feel sick. It makes a mouthwatering, belly-warming meal anytime, anywhere.
This soup calls for clean, nutrient-rich ingredients like soft carrots and decadent potatoes. Throw in some fragrant herbs like parsley and thyme for delicious flavors from the garden, and pair with chewy peas and aromatic diced onion. Best of all, the tender chunks of chicken absorb juices from the veggies and spices, releasing bold flavor your taste buds will love.
This comforting soup truly soothes the soul. It’s packed with protein and bursts with health benefits and deliciousness.
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 211 | Total Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 118mg | Carbohydrates: 21g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 18g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- 3 chicken breasts, bone-in and skin on, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped, divided
- 2 stalks celery chopped, large, plus 1/2 cup celery leaves (from the celery head)
- 4- 5 whole parsley with stems and leaves, cleaned
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 yukon potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, cut into large pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 3 whole sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 lemon, juiced, optional
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place a pot over high heat. Add 8-10 cups water, chicken breasts, 4 whole garlic cloves, 1/3 of the carrots, all of the celery, the large onion pieces, bay leaf, celery leaves, parsley, and the pepper.
- Bring just to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Using a colander set over a pot or large bowl, dump in broth so the colander catches all of the large ingredients. Remove chicken and allow to cool on a plate so it will be cool enough for shredding. Discard skin.
- Shred chicken with two forks or hands when cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, rinse empty stock pot. Add olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions and carrots. Sauté for 5 to 8 minutes, until the onion has softened and is translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add stock, potatoes, salt, and chopped thyme. Allow to cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add peas and shredded chicken. Add lemon juice to serve, if desired, and sprinkle with parsley.
Have a favorite ingredient you’d like to see featured on the site? Let us know! Leave us a comment below.