Mayonnaise is a summertime staple. Delicious on sandwiches and in salads, it’s tangy, versatile, and makes a picnic a picnic. But store bought mayonnaise can be tricky. Many of them are made with additives and preservatives that make them a less than healthy choice. Plus, many of our readers are beginning to embrace a vegan lifestyle, or are simply interested in cutting down on the animal products they consume. And for those of you who have come to prefer the flavors of vegan substitutions in your recipes, you might actually be finding yourself shying away from flavors that taste too much of dairy, egg, and meat.
We’ve created a homemade vegan mayonnaise recipe for those readers. This mayo recipe is free of animal products, ultra-healthy, and its light taste and texture are a perfect addition to those summertime lunches. We begin with milk. Choose your own variety, whether it’s almond, kamut, or hazelnut. Mustard powder, lemon juice, and paprika give it an abundance of tangy mayo flavor, but with all natural ingredients, and without excess fat and calories. Canola oil is a healthy oil that gives the mayo a richer texture.
The best part is that this mayo is so easy to whip up. Simply combine the ingredients in an immersion blender, and refrigerate. And once you’ve perfected it, start experimenting! Add your own herbs and spices to your mayo to give it a unique flavor, or mix with other condiments for a recipe that you can call your own!
- 1/4 cup milk unsweetened (almond, hazelnut, hemp, oat, kamut)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar organic
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar mild
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of paprika
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- In the container of the immersion blender, put together all the ingredients except the canola oil then blend until lightly creamy.
- Add the canola oil gradually while continuing to blend. After a few minutes, the mixture will become creamy similar to the consistency of mayonnaise.
- To attain a better consistency, refrigerate for at least half an hour before using.
Get clean eating recipes, innovative new workouts, and healthy lifestyle tips delivered right to your inbox with our newsletter! And for even more SkinnyMs., check out our Facebook and Pinterest to stay informed!
We need your feedback! Go to the comments section to let us know what you think of this article, and tell us what you’d like to see more of!