Spaghetti squash is a great substitute for pasta. It’s gluten free, low-carb, and high in fiber. The texture is similar to spaghetti, so you can use it in all your favorite pasta dishes. We especially love it in this spaghetti squash casserole. We combined spaghetti squash with turkey sausage, cheese, marinara sauce, and veggies to create an Italian-inspired treat. This casserole is just as cheesy and yummy as a traditional casserole, but it’s much healthier. The spaghetti squash cuts down on the calorie and carb count, and the turkey adds lean protein. We also used low-fat cheese, so you can feel good about indulging in this delicious dinner!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 210 | Total Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 501mg | Carbohydrates: 10g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 16g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 1 small green pepper, diced small
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-sugar added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (24 ounce) jar no-sugar added marinara
- 3/4 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside. Set aside a second baking dish.
- Slice the spaghetti squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place cut side down in the second baking dish and pour the 1/2 cup water around the squash. bake 40-45 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly and pull out the inside of the squash with a fork. The squash will resemble spaghetti noodle. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Once hot add the turkey sausage, onion, and pepper. Cook, breaking the turkey into small pieces until the vegetables are soft and turkey is cooked through. Drain off any excess liquid and add the tomatoes and marinara. Stir to combine and remove from heat. Gently fold in the ricotta cheese. Pour the mixture into the large bowl containing the spaghetti squash and combine well to coat the squash. Place in the prepared casserole dish in an even layer and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh basil. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!