Our recipe for Jamaican Style Black Beans with Coconut Cornbread Crust fulfills so many of our readers’ requirements that we know it will be bookmarked in many of your web browsers once you’ve read the details! First of all, it’s easy to prepare. All of our slow cooker meals are so simple to prep and then let simmer. Second, it’s vegetarian. As many of you try to incorporate more vegetarian meals into your week, a great-tasting veggie option is sure to be in high demand. And third, it’s the perfect go-to meal for when you need sustained energy. Plus, it’s scrumptious, with a unique blend of flavors!
Tossing ingredients into a slow cooker has never been easier. No rinsing, draining, or chopping necessary! Simply add the beans, water, tomatoes, corn, and spices and seasonings into your slow cooker, and let it go! Toward the end of the slow cooking process, all you need to do is to mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl, and your cornbread crust is ready to be added to the slow cooker for the remaining hour. Once that buzzer goes off, just spoon this mix of beans, veggies, and crusty cornbread into a bowl for a meal that’s tasty and satisfying.
Beans are one of our favorite superfoods, and for good reason. They’re packed with both fiber and protein, making them the perfect food to fill you up and keep your motor running for hours. Plus, this recipe gets its flavor from low calorie ingredients like tomatoes, jerk seasoning, and chili powder, meaning that you get all of the taste with none of the heavy, unhealthy fat. Even our cornbread crust is low in fat, allowing us to add this delightful comfort food as a healthy component of an already nutritious meal. Make a big batch and have it on hand for a sustaining, wholesome lunch or dinner.
Also, be sure to check out our other delicious Vegetarian Meal Options.
Yields: servings | Serving Size: 1 cup|Calories: 350| Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 | Sodium: 664 mg | Carbohydrates: 68 g | Dietary Fiber: 10 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 16 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2
- 1 cup dried black beans, rinsed and blemished ones removed
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon jerk seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour (I used white whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup light coconut milk
- Greek yogurt and reduced-fat cheddar cheese for garnish, optional
- Put the beans, water, tomatoes, corn, seasonings and half the salt and the pepper in your crockpot. Turn on low heat and cook for 4 hours, or until beans are tender. Add more liquid if necessary.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, remaining salt, and coconut milk in a medium bowl. Spoon the mixture over the beans in the crock pot, cover and cook on low for one more hour.
- Serve hot, topped with cheese and Greek yogurt, if desired.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.