Posole, originally from Jalisco, Mexico, is traditionally served around the holidays, and now with this healthier version it can be enjoyed year around, guilt-free. This healthy version of Posole was submitted by Angel from the Well-Girl blog. Read more about Angel below.
Yields: 6-8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup |Calories: 172 | Total Fat: 2.8 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 36 mg | Sodium: 956 mg | Carbohydrates: 19.4 g | Dietary Fiber: 3.8 g | Sugars: 3.0 g | Protein: 16.9 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 0
- Sauce Ingredients
- 8 tomatillos
- 3 serrano chilies (can be reduced or added, depending on the heat you want your soup to be)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 sprigs of cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- Pinch of oregano
- Pinch of cumin
- Soup Ingredients
- 3 chicken breast
- ½ chopped yellow onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 29 ounces of white hominy, drained & rinsed
- 32 ounces of low sodium chicken stock
- For the Sauce:
- Lightly brush tomatoes and serrano chilies with extra virgin olive oil and roast in the oven for approximately 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the whole tomatillos (husks removed and rinsed) and boil for approximately 5 minutes or until they become soft and lose their bright color.
- Drain and rinse well. Place tomatillos in a blender with cilantro, salt, cumin and dried oregano.
- Once tomatoes and Serrano chilies are done roasting, allow them to cool and then peel off their skin. **Tip for easy peeling, place roasted tomatoes and chilies in a plastic bag and allow to cool, skin will peel off easily.
- Add peeled tomatoes and chilies into the blender and puree all of the ingredients until it becomes a smooth sauce.
- For the Soup:
- Poach chicken breast in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. (Poaching instructions - cover chicken with water and add chopped onion, garlic and salt. add the chicken back into the water that you cooked it in. Once the sauce is made, it gets added to the pot as well so all of the soup comes together.Bring to a boil and then quickly reduce heat to low so that the water is barely at a simmer. Partly cover and gently simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat completely, and allow chicken to remain in hot water for 15-20 minutes.)
- Remove the chicken from pot, allow to cool and then shred.
- Add shredded chicken back to large pot. Add the chicken back into the water that you cooked it in. Once the sauce is made, it gets added to the pot as well so all of the soup comes together.
- Add low sodium chicken stock and the drained and rinsed hominy to pot.
- Bring the contents of the pot to a low boil and simmer for 30 minutes. (Or you can place all the contents into a crockpot and cook on high for 1.5-2 hours.)
- Serve in bowls and allow each person to garnish their own bowl of posole.
Optional Garnishes Diced avocado Chopped cilantro Finely diced onions Dried oregano Red pepper flakes Shredded cabbage Thinly sliced radishes Lime
Angel’s blog was inspired by her love & passion for health and fitness. Along with her focus on health and fitness, Angel’s blog follows her on her daily adventures with her family as a wife and new mom. To find more recipes like this, follow Angel the WELL-GIRL on her blog.