I’m sure you’ve heard of using eggplant slices as a substitute for pasta in lasagna or as the bread for low-carb sandwiches, but have you ever heard of anything as genius as this Low-Carb Eggplant Pizza recipe? To create this incredibly healthy dish, we sliced eggplant into 1/4-inch thick rounds to see if it worked as the base of our pizza. Then, we loaded ’em up with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese–just like a real pizza. The results were nothing short of amazing!
Why This Low-Carb Eggplant Pizza Recipe Works
There’s a good reason why this recipe works: after it cooks, eggplant slices become nice and firm. By sprinkling the eggplant with salt, you draw out excess moisture from the inside of the vegetable. That helps them become nice and firm as they cook. Then, baking them in a hot, 400-degree oven gives the edges the perfect level of caramelization. By the time they’ve baked for 15 minutes, they’ll be firm and slightly crispy, just like a piece of bread!
From there, you can load up your eggplant pizza with your favorite toppings. My favorite pizza is plain cheese, so we kept the base recipe simple. Feel free to have some fun with it: pepperoni, chicken, sausage, onions, peppers, broccoli, or more! Check out our favorite guilt-free pizza recipes to get inspired.
Keep in mind that each topping will add additional calories. Two cheese only eggplant pizzas clock in at 238 calories. Every time you add a topping, that calorie count increases. If you keep the toppings to vegetables, things won’t get too out of control. Meat toppings, on the other hand, do tend to add up quickly! Keep track of what you add, but don’t forget to have fun.
Yield: 3 servings | Serving Size: about 2 eggplant pizzas | Calories: 238 | Total Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 7 g | Carbohydrates: 18 g | Fiber: 8 g | Sugar: 11 g | Protein: 11 g | Cholesterol 34 mg | Sodium: 735 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch thick disks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup no-sugar added marinara sauce
- 1 cup fat-free mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place the sliced eggplant on the prepared baking sheet and brush each with the olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and top with the marinara, spreading the sauce to the edges of the egg plant. Sprinkle mozzarella on top and return to the oven. Bake for an additional 7 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is beginning to brown. Sprinkle fresh basil over top and serve.
- TIP: Add your favorite pizza toppings on top of the mozzarella before baking!