We at SkinnyMs. are all about bringing you healthy meals that can you can make with relative ease. Well, this Slow Cooker Eggplant Lasagna is a perfect example of an easy recipe that’s also good for you! We’ve used eggplant in place of noodles to make it low carb, used low-fat cheeses and sugar-free tomato sauce to keep it skinny, then added some veggies for flavor and nutrients. Just layer everything in a slow cooker, then let it cook until the cheese melts and the veggies cook through. So easy!
Our version is meat-free, but you could certainly add ground beef, turkey, or Italian sausage to amp up the protein! You can even throw in veggies like squash, spinach, or zucchini if you wanted to keep it meatless! This recipe is super easy to make your own!
Yields: 6 cups | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 221 | Total Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 802mg | Carbohydrates: 19g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Protein: 14g | SmartPoints: 8
- 2 eggplants, peeled and sliced thin to resemble lasagna noodles
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups low fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 (24 ounce) jar sugar-free spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- Lay the eggplants out on paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and allow excess moisture in eggplants to drain for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese and egg in a bowl.
- Cover the bottom of the slow cooker with ¼ of the tomato sauce. Layer ¼ the eggplant slices, peppers, onions and cheese on top. Repeat the layer three more times (layering is as follows: sauce, eggplant, peppers, onions cheese).
- Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or high for 2 to 3 hours.
Other recipes you might like:
How do you cut down carbs in your favorite Italian recipes? Let us know in the comments section below!