Few things are better than chips and salsa. Unfortunately, few things are are also more unhealthy. All those extra-processed ingredients in pre-made salsa quickly turn a healthy serving of veggies into a balanced diet’s worst enemy. If, however, you make your own chips and salsa, you can still enjoy it while reaping the benefits! This mango red pepper salsa is made with real, whole ingredients. It has no added sugar (unlike most store-bought salsas) – just fruits, veggies, and spices. It’s delicious with our Easy Whole-Grain Pita Chips, but it’s so versatile, you can even add it to salads, fish, or eggs for some extra flavor.
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1/4 cup | Calories: 30 | Total Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 174mg | Carbohydrates: 7g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 1g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2
- 1 very ripe mango, peeled and diced small
- 1 red pepper, diced small
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced small
- 1 jalepeno pepper, minced
- 3 tablespoons red onion, diced small
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve with your favorite pita or tortilla chips!
- OPTION: For extra flavor, roast the red pepper before dicing. Cool completely before mixing with other ingredients.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy fresh salsa? Let us know in the comments below!
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything SkinnyMs.! For more tasty recipes, healthy lifestyle tips, and whole body workouts, check out our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest.