Add a tropical twist to your rice pudding.
Rice pudding can be a comforting, but sometimes somewhat bland, cold weather treat. This dish dispenses with bland by adding a heap of mangoes! Mangos, rich in antioxidants and bursting with tropical flavor, elevate the classic rice pudding. What’s more, you’ll delight in the shaving of dark chocolate atop this sweet treat, which is low in fat and calories when made with nutritious coconut milk.
Mango Rice Pudding with Chocolate Shavings
- 2 mangoes ripe
- 1 cup rice Arborio or anything similar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar substitute with sucanat or honey (adjust the amount according to the sweetness of the mangoes)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate shaved, for garnishing
- Slice the mangoes and scoop out all the pulp. Separate 1/3 of the pulp, dice then set aside. This will serve later for garnishing.
- Put the rest of the mangoes in a blender and blend coarsely. Set aside.
- Over high heat, in a saucepan with medium-high sides, cook the water and the rice together. Bring it to a boil
- When it boils, put the heat to the lowest, partially cover, and cook until almost all the water has been absorbed but still creamy.
- Pour the coconut milk and sugar in the saucepan and stir to mix well. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the mangoes and stir to mix well. Cover.
- Cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 8 - 10 minutes. In case the rice pudding is starting to dry up and the rice is still hard, add more coconut milk or hot water.
- After it is cooked, let it rest for about 15 minutes. This is best enjoyed slightly warm, not hot.
- Meantime, prepare the chocolate flakes by using a peeler to scrape the flakes from a block of chocolate.
- Serve in individual bowls. Garnish with the diced mangoes and chocolate shavings.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Check out our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.