Nutrition doesn't get any easier.
For breakfast each morning, I drink 24 ounces of the maximum nutrition superfood smoothie system described below. You can vary the taste and ingredients used each day for nutritional diversity and flavor. By following the choices listed below, your body will thank you. This is because you will come close to optimizing and maximizing many of the vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients your body needs each day.
Use a high-speed blender for best and fastest results. With a standard blender, you will need to add ingredients one at a time and keep the mixture thin. Add water as needed to achieve your desired consistency.
How to Follow the System:
IMPORTANT: In this recipe system, please note that you are never using ALL of the ingredients below. Instead, you are choosing fruits and vegetables from the first two categories below, then pureeing with all or most of the ingredients in the “superfood” category.
Superfood Smoothie Recipe: 10-15 Minutes prep time; 2 servings
Fruits: My usual smoothie includes one of the fruit combinations below. I try to use fruits that are organic and commonly available fresh from a local farmers market, supermarket or frozen in large bulk quantities from a warehouse club.
- Tropical: 1 banana, 1/4 fresh pineapple, 1 fresh mango
- Berry: 1 cup cherries, 1 cup strawberries, 1 cup blueberries
- Kiwi Banana: 2 bananas, 4 kiwis (skin on)
- Banana Strawberry: 2 bananas, 2 cups strawberries
- Blueberry Pear: 2 cups blueberries, 2 pears
- Apple Grape: 2 apples, 2 cups red/purple or blue/black grapes
Vegetables: The vegetables listed below are relatively “taste neutral” when fresh and raw, meaning that you are unlikely to taste them when mixed with fruit. I use 2-3 of the organic veggies in my smoothies in the amounts listed.
- 1-2 leaves of kale
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup dandelion greens
- 1 cup beet greens
- 1 cup sprouts (broccoli or mixed sprouts)
- 2 carrots (multicolored if possible)
- 1 leaf collard greens
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup red cabbage
Superfoods: I include each ingredient below in my morning smoothie. In addition to the vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients provided by each ingredient, other purported health benefits are listed in parenthesis. For more detail about the health benefits of each ingredient, enter the ingredient name in the search box on nutritionfacts.org and watch the short video associated with the term.
- 2 tablespoon raw cacao powder (energy and physical stamina – note, this is not cocoa powder)
- 1 tablespoon raw walnuts (omega-3s and numerous other health benefits)
- 6 raw almonds (various health benefits)
- 1 Brazil nut (selenium)
- 1 tablespoon dried goji berries (antioxidants)
- 2 tablespoon flax seeds (omega-3s and cancer-fighting lignans)
- 1 tablespoon spearmint or peppermint flakes (enhanced oxygen delivery and athletic performance)
- 1 tablespoon maca powder (libido enhancement)
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon (weight loss and other health benefits)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds (omega-3s and cancer-fighting lignans)
- 1/2-inch fresh ginger root (anti-inflammatory and other health benefits)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (anti-inflammatory and many other health benefits)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (enhanced bioavailability of nutrients)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (weight loss)
Add all ingredients to a blender (recommend high-speed blender), puree and enjoy!
I lost 150 pounds and reversed my type 2 diabetes by making some lifestyle changes. This system, for making my daily smoothie, is part of that change. Read more about my lifestyle changes at, Couple Lost 230 Pounds and This is How They Did It.