Sometimes, in our kitchens at SkinnyMs., we like to have some fun. Imagine creating an ooey, gooey lasagna from entirely Mexican-inspired ingredients. That’s right. No noodles. No ragu. No bechamel. No oregano or basil. Feeling let down? You won’t, when you hear what we’ve created in its place. We’ve layered freshly made tortillas instead of noodles, and topped them with ground turkey, salsa, three different kinds of cheese, and we’ve spiced up this dish with cumin and chili powder. It’s a Mexican feast, layered like a lasagna. The flavors of Tex-Mex cooking and the design of a classic Italian crowd-pleaser makes for twice the fun!
Ground turkey is an excellent substitute for ground pork, veal, and beef. It’s just as satisfying, but contains less fat, calories, and cholesterol. And we’ve used low fat cheeses in order to cut down on unwanted fat and calories even further. And last, the whole grain tortillas we’ve used follow our very own clean eating tortilla recipe, which is simple, and yields beautiful, healthy tortillas that taste authentic and, of course, not out of a box.
This healthy Mexican entree is comfort food at its best. Gooey and cheesy, flavorful and mildly spicy, and rich and filling, without weighing you down. It’s a great weeknight dinner, but is also excellent to have on hand for potluck dinners, game nights, and kids’ parties. Everyone loves the flavors, and no one will suspect how healthy and nutritious this meal is.
Yields: 12 servings | Calories: 212 | Total Fat: 13 g | Saturated Fat: 7 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Sodium: 482 mg | Cholesterol: 60 mg | Carbohydrates: 7 g | Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 17 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 12 ounce jar salsa, no-sugar added
- 4 whole grain tortillas, cut into 2" strips (tortilla recipe)
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, plus more for garnishing
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reduced-fat
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium skillet, brown turkey until it loses its pink color. Drain off any fat and combine with salsa.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, mozzarella, cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and cilantro.
- In a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish, layer with half of each: meat mixture, cheese mixture, and tortilla pieces. Repeat layering and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Cover loosely with foil and bake 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes. Allow to rest 5-10 minutes before serving. Garnish with additional cilantro.
Let us know how we’re doing! Tell us what you think about this post, and about the content you enjoy on our site, in the comments section.