If you think pasta dishes can’t be healthy, think again! This One-Pot Chicken Artichoke Penne contains heart-healthy ingredients and lean protein, all wrapped up in a delicious package. As a bonus, the ingredients cook together in one pot, creating significantly fewer dishes than most dinner options. Simply toss in the ingredients together and you’ll have dinner on the table in about 15 minutes. How great is that?
You’ll fall in love with the flavors of savory sun-dried tomatoes, aromatic onions and garlic, briny artichoke hearts, and chewy whole-wheat pasta. Finish the dish with the fresh flavors of lemon zest, basil, and salty Parmesan cheese, and it’s just about perfect!
Your Favorite Appetizer, Turned Into an Entrée
Everyone loves that spinach artichoke dip appetizer available at most restaurants, right? It’s creamy, cheesy, and filled with flavor. The major problem with this dish: it usually contains copious amounts of mayonnaise, and serving it with a side of white bread makes it filling but not nutritious. That’s because this fat-filled dish contains simple carbohydrates that your body processes rapidly. It will taste good while you’re eating it, but you won’t feel full for long.
The great thing about our re-envisioned artichoke dip dinner is that it’s both healthy and filling. We use chicken breasts, which are a great source of protein without containing as much saturated fat as other meat options. Then, we add flavorful but low-calorie ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, lemon zest, and basil to create a dish that’s simply bursting with flavor.
Why Whole Wheat Pasta?
Let’s talk about the whole wheat pasta we use in this One-Pot Chicken Artichoke Penne dish. Many people are avoiding pasta and bread these days, but not all pasta is created equally. It doesn’t have to be the enemy!
Remember how we talked about how white bread is full of simple carbohydrates? Well, whole-wheat pasta is made from flour that contains the bran and germ of the wheat plant. That makes it a complex carbohydrate.
What does that mean for you? Unlike simple carbs, which your body digests very quickly, complex carbohydrates provide your body with lasting energy. Whole-wheat grains are also high in fiber and other nutrients, making them a nutrient-dense choice of healthy carbohydrates.
That means this dish is super flavorful, satisfying, and satiating. You’ll feel full for hours!
One-Pot Chicken Artichoke Penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked boneless and skinless chicken breast chopped (leftovers work great!)
- 1/2 cup canned artichokes drained and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh basil finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free parmesan cheese shredded
- In a large skillet with high sides, heat the olive oil. Once hot, add the garlic and onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes or just until the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Stir in the chicken, artichokes, salt, broth, and penne. Cover and cook for about 12 minutes or until pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the lemon zest, basil, and parmesan, mix well. Serve hot.
For more great recipes, subscribe to our newsletter. We’ll send you all the latest recipes, meal plans, workouts, fitness tips, and more!