If you grew up in the South, you understand the appeal of fried green tomatoes. The classic southern dish is a beloved staple in summertime dinners and outdoor get-togethers. The tomatoes deliver a mouthwatering tartness and juicy consistency that pairs perfectly with a satisfying crunch. Unfortunately, traditional recipes have you deep frying the fruit in a boatload of oil, turning a nutrient-rich superfood into a caloric indulgence.
SkinnyMs. has ditched the frying pan and excess grease, opting for a healthier oven-baked method. Sliced tomatoes are coated in a yummy mixture of cornmeal, Parmesan, and savory spices, then popped in the oven until crisp and golden. Baking instead of frying slashes a bunch of calories while retaining amazing flavor. This dish will satisfy your taste buds without sabotaging your waistline.
Whether you’re grocery shopping or scouring your garden for the perfect tomatoes, choose large, firm fruits. A nice beefsteak tomato will yield amazing results.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 4 slices | Calories: 250 | Total Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 103mg | Sodium: 549mg | Carbohydrates: 28g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 12g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 4 medium green tomatoes, sliced about 1/4-inch thin
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooking rack on top.
- Mix olive oil with panko in a bowl. Add cornmeal, parmesan, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne, stirring well to combine, and spread mixture in an even layer on a plate.
- Dip tomato slices in eggs, letting any excess mixture drip back into the bowl, then press into the breading mixture on both sides to coat and carefully lay on the baking sheet. Repeat with all slices.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turn over and bake an additional 20-25 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- Enjoy hot and crispy!
Love the recipe? Let us know! We need your feedback. Leave a comment in the section below about this article or anything else on the site.