What brings back memories of childhood like delicious, bite-sized tater tots? Crunchy on the outside, filled with potato goodness on the inside, these little treats are beloved by kids an adults. Now you can enjoy them the healthy way, with our Oven Baked Sweet Potato Tots. Perfect for family get-togethers, as finger food during the big game, or at kids’ parties, these tots will bring out the kid in everyone.
We bake these tater tots instead of frying them, which significantly reduces their fat and calorie content. Your guests will never guess that they’ve been baked, because that mouth-watering crunch is still there! These tots are coated in whole wheat panko bread crumbs, which have more fiber than refined white bread crumbs. Plus, since these tots are made with sweet potatoes instead of regular white potatoes, you’re getting a bite of a superfood with every tot. Sweet potatoes are high in both beta-carotene and vitamin A, and are filled with fiber. They’re lower on the glycemic index than white potatoes, and much more nutritious.
Plus, these tots are loaded with unique flavors. Coconut sugar provides natural sweetness and a hint of a tropical, coconut twist. Superfoods cinnamon and curry powder add spice and zest, and adding red pepper flakes will amp up the heat while providing heart healthy and anti-inflammatory capsaicin. Bake a batch of these this weekend for a crowd-pleasing treat that’s healthy and wholesome, bite after bite!
Yields: 4 servings/ 24 tater tots | Serving Size: 6 tater tots | Calories: 173 | Total Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 134 mg | Carbohydrates: 33 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 5 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6 |
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs (we like Ian's Brand)
- Pinch of Kosher or sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse sweet potatoes, wrap in foil and bake on a baking sheet for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Remove and cool completely. I prefer to bake the potatoes the night before, store in the refrigerator and make the tots the following day.
- Whisk together in a mixing bowl, Panko bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees for the tots.
- Peel cooked sweet potatoes, add to a mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Sprinkle over the potatoes curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, red pepper flakes, and remaining 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, stir to combine.
- One at a time, add about 1 tablespoon sweet potato mixture to the Panko crumbs and shape into tots, being sure to coat all sides with crumbs. These can be any shape you like, square, round, or rectangular.
- Lay tots one at a time on a parchment lined or non-stick cookie sheet. This recipe makes approximately 24 tots. Bake 20 minutes, turn over and bake an additional 20-25 minutes or until golden and crispy. Allow to cool at room temperature. Tots are best eaten the same day without storing.
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on all things SkinnyMs.