This spicy-sweet dish will quickly become one of your favorite summer recipes!
Shake up Taco Tuesday with this Pineapple Honey Shrimp Taco Bowl! It’s the perfect combination of spicy, savory, and sweet flavors, and each bite leave you wanting more. This clean, low-calorie recipe is the perfect way to get your taco fix without sacrificing the bold flavors Mexican food is known for. With tons of different ways to serve it, this Pineapple Honey Shrimp Taco recipe is one you’ll come back to again and again.
Tips for The Best Pineapple Honey Shrimp Taco Bowl
First – and most importantly – you should start with fresh, firm, extra-large shrimp. If you don’t like cleaning shrimp, you can buy them already peeled and deveined. Otherwise, we recommend easy-peel shrimp that has already been deveined, making the shells easy to remove. Additionally, you can also use frozen shrimp. They’re easy enough to thaw by placing them in a colander under cold, running water.
Next, create the perfect balance of sweet and spicy flavors with this pineapple honey glaze. You can bump up the heat by leaving the seeds and veins in the jalapeño pepper. If you’re feeling adventurous, use a hotter pepper like a habanero, or you could use dried red chili flakes.
Finally, the right amount of honey adds just enough sweetness to the already sweet pineapple. It works wonders in balancing the heat of the jalapeño pepper, creating the perfect combination of spicy and sweet. The flavors all come together to make this Pineapple Honey Shrimp Taco Bowl a bold and tasty twist on shrimp tacos!
Wondering how best to serve this recipe? Here are some of our favorite options!
- Make it a salad bowl by serving it on top of chopped lettuce. We like adding tomatoes, black olives, and shredded low-fat cheddar cheese when making it this way.
- Serve in a whole wheat wrap.
- Take spicy to the next level by adding extra red chili flakes or your favorite hot sauce
- Create tacos by filling soft flour or corn tortillas with the rice-shrimp mixture.
- Make it grain-free by serving it on top of cauliflower rice or roasted vegetables instead of brown rice.
Pineapple Honey Shrimp Taco Bowl
- 1/2 cup scallions green onions, chopped small
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper seeds and veins removed, then diced small
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple drained
- 2 Tablespoons raw honey
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds extra-large wild shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- Combine scallions, jalapeno, pineapple, honey, lime juice and lime zest in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Salt shrimp, then cook in skillet for 3-5 minutes, until opaque and firm, but not overcooked.
- Toss shrimp in pineapple mixture to coat
- Divide rice into 8 bowls. Top with shrimp mixture and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Want more recipes like this sent directly to your inbox? Subscribe to our newsletter.