Sweet roasted beets and hazelnuts make this clean dip healthy and flavorful.
Let’s face it, veggies are always better when you have something to dip them in. Whether it’s celery and peanut butter, carrots with ranch dressing, or sour cream and onion dip on literally anything (just me?), even our favorite veggies could use a little help. With this healthy Roasted Beet and Hazelnut Vegetable Dip, you can dip your veggies in something tasty that won’t undo the whole point of eating vegetables in the first place.
This dip is a much healthier alternative to other creamy dips and sugary spreads. Instead of dipping your vegetables in dairy and sugar, you’re dipping them in, well, vegetables. This rich and creamy dip gets its texture and earthy flavor from beets. Beets happen to have some amazing health benefits, including:
- Rich in vitamin C, fiber, and potassium
- Detox support
- Good source of betaine, a nutrient that can help fight inflammation
So, by dipping into this Roasted Beet and Hazelnut Vegetable dip, you’re actually giving your afternoon snack a health (and flavor) boost.
But beets aren’t the only star ingredient here. In this recipe, they’re sharing the spotlight with hazelnuts, another ingredient as rich in vitamins as they are in sweet, earthy flavor. These heart-healthy nuts contain healthy fats and high levels of vitamins E and B.
Sweet roasted beets and toasted hazelnuts combine for a rich, earthy, naturally sweet flavor. This recipe also gets a savory flavor boost from garlic and thyme. Meanwhile, maple syrup gives this Roasted Beet and Hazelnut Vegetable Dip an extra touch of sweetness.
Now this recipe may look like a little bit more of a project than dumping a seasoning packet into some sour cream. Don’t let it intimidate you. I promise this dip is so worth it. When you’re cooking with real, clean ingredients, a little extra effort is well worth the results.
For this recipe, begin by roasting the beets in the spices and seasoning. Cooking these beets in foil helps them to fully absorb the flavors, making for a richer, more flavorful dip.
While the beets are cooling, boil and toast the hazelnuts. First, boil them, then let dry and pop in the oven for a few minutes to toast. (Your kitchen will smell SO GOOD).
To make the dip, simply blend the cooled beets and hazelnuts in a food processor until smooth. Add remaining seasonings and maple syrup. Simple as that!
This is a unique and delicious dip to serve at parties. It goes great with your favorite raw veggies or whole-grain chips and is sure to be a hit.
That said, this recipe isn’t snacks-only. It also makes a delicious spread on toast or a good substitute for mayo on sandwiches. This creamy but light dip is a delicious and unique recipe to mix things up!
If you like this Roasted Beet and Hazelnut Vegetable Dip, try these other clean and delicious party dips:
Roasted Beet and Hazelnut Vegetable Dip
- 1 1/2 pounds beets washed, unpeeled (about 5 beets)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay a large piece of foil on a flat surface and place the beets in the center of the foil (unpeeled). Add the garlic, thyme, half the salt, half the ground pepper, and half of the vinegar. Wrap the foil around the beets and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour or until the beets are soft. Set aside and let cool until easy enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the hazelnuts and boil for 4 minutes. Drain the hazelnuts and then place the hazelnuts on a paper towel and pat dry. Once dry, place on a baking sheet and toast for 3 minutes. Remove the nuts, stir, and toast for 3 more minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Once the beets are cool enough to handle, remove the skins by carefully rubbing off the skin. Add the beets to a food processor along with the toasted hazelnuts, remaining salt and pepper, remaining vinegar, and maple syrup. Blend until smooth.
- Serve with your favorite raw veggies on the side.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms