A rich and creamy soup with bold spices that will warm you up!
There’s nothing I love more than a rich, creamy soup. Okay, there’s one thing I love more. A rich, creamy soup that isn’t loaded with dairy, fat, and more calories than I planned to eat in a day. Fortunately, this roasted leek soup recipe checks all my boxes.
One of the most important things I’ve learned throughout clean eating and cooking is that creamy recipes don’t have to rely on actual cream. There are plenty of healthy, clean ways to get that creamy texture you crave. One of the healthiest AND most effective? Starting with a base of roasted, pureed veggies. This comforting roasted leek soup recipe owes almost all its rich, creamy texture to roasted leeks, sweet potato, carrots, and tomato. Blended into a creamy puree, these veggies make for a thick, flavorful, and vibrant soup.
Thyme to Spice Things Up
While this soup gets tons of creamy texture and earthy flavors from its assortment of roasted veggies, plenty of bold spices and seasonings round out the vibrant flavor profile.
Earthy, savory, and just a little spicy, this soup will really warm you up. Meanwhile, this roasted leek soup recipe actually does double duty when it comes to seasoning.
First, this recipe roasts the veggies in olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. These oils and seasonings bake into the veggies to enhance their earthy flavors and make an even more flavorful base for the soup.
Once the veggies have been baked and pureed, it’s time to really get spicy. Curry, turmeric, and chili powder fill this soup with warm flavors and subtle spice. It’s a vibrant flavor experience you wouldn’t necessarily expect from a vegetable soup, and it really takes this recipe to the next level. And along with adding a little kick, these spices also happen to provide tons of extra health benefits. Turmeric is even one of the 5 spices that are key to weight loss!
Creamy, Healthy, and Oh-So-Simple
I used to worry that making rich, creamy soups would require a lot of time and care to get the consistency right. So not true. This super easy, super healthy soup is ready in under an hour.
Making this roasted leek soup recipe is really as easy as baking the veggies, pureeing them with vegetable stock, and then adding spices and coconut milk and letting it all simmer.
Totally vegetarian and vegan, this soup is easy, delicious, and healthy. It’s the perfect guilt-free comfort food for a cold winter night. Top with croutons or serve with a piece of crusty bread, and you’ve got a picture perfect meal.
Roasted Leek Soup Recipe
- 1 pound leeks roots and leaves removed, roughly chopped
- 1 sweet potato small, peeled and cubed small
- 3 tomatoes large, quartered
- 2 carrots large, peeled and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock low-sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the leeks, sweet potato, tomatoes, carrots, garlic, olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix well to coat the vegetables in the oil and seasonings. Spread in an even layer on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and lightly browned.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a large soup pot and add the vegetable stock. Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, blend the mixture in a regular blender in small batches until smooth and transfer the pureed mix to a soup pot.
- Once pureed, stir in the curry, turmeric, chili powder, and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. If the soup is too thick for your preference, add more vegetable stock or water until your preferred consistency is reached. Bring the soup for a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle into serving bowls and serve hot!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
More Soup Recipes:
This flavorful slow cooker soup is packed with nutrient-dense and protein-rich ingredients. Loaded with flavor and texture, this soup will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
Think tomato soup is boring? Think again. This hearty homemade version with delicious roasted tomatoes will change everything you know about tomato soup, and put that pasty canned stuff to shame. You don’t know tomato soup until you’ve tried this recipe.