Add some kick to your healthy hummus recipe!
Add a dash of sweet, earthy, roasted red pepper flavor to your hummus. This clean eating treat is made with heart-healthy olive oil, protein- and fiber-rich chickpeas, and red peppers that give it a unique kick. This Mediterranean favorite can be paired with pita chips, or any veggie of your choice for a filling and healthy snack!
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 2 roasted bell peppers optional 1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers (drained)
- 15 ounces chickpeas can, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- Recipe for Roasted Bell Peppers.
- Add chickpeas, roasted peppers, lemon juice, garlic, tahini, olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper, to a food processor or blender. Pulse until pureed.
- If desired, drizzle with olive oil just before serving.
- Tip: Delicious served with Whole Grain Pita Chips or fresh veggies.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Check out our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.
This looks delicious. How many days would this still be good after it is made?
Randy, Up to one week should be fine in the fridge. 🙂
Hello! It looks delicious! Did you use roasted red peppers packed in water or in oil? All the recipes I find have them packed in water, but that doesn’t exist where I live (only in oil).
You can use the peppers in oil if you’d like. Gently rinse the oil off and pat dry. If you’d like, you can also use the red pepper oil in place of the olive oil.
Alternatively, you can also make your own roasted red peppers. Cut a pepper in half and remove stem and seeds. Place skin side up on a cookie sheet and brush the skin with olive oil. Roast in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes (more or less depending in pepper size). Skin should be blistering and even a little burnt. Place in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap to cool. Once peppers are cool to the touch peel off the skin and use as needed!
I read this recipe this morning and had everything to make it. I had been looking for a good homemade recipe and this one is it! I cannot believe how delicious this is. I had two jalapeños in the fridge so I roasted them as well and threw them in. The only changes I made were a bit more salt and only used 1/4 tsp. Of crushed red pepper and it was perfect for my taste. SkinnyMs, I am so glad I found you!
I’m so glad you loved the Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (it’s one of my favorites, too)! I loved that you added two roasted jalapenos. Yum!