A wonderfully healthy, on-the-go snack!
I always have an overabundance of pecans around my house. We are lucky enough to have planted pecan trees years ago. Now that they are mature, they produce copious amounts of pecans every year. Since we have so many, I enjoy experimenting with different pecan recipes in the kitchen! While they’re great to eat raw or as part of a trail mix blend, I prefer them to be well-seasoned and toasted. That’s how I came up with this delightful recipe for Roasted Spicy Maple Pecans!
Easy to Make, Hard to Resist
Recipes don’t get much easier than this! All you need to do is take the large, buttery pecans and place them in a large mixing bowl. Toss them with just enough olive oil to keep them from sticking. Add the sweet maple syrup, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, ground cinnamon, and cloves. If you like a little more heat, feel free to increase the cayenne pepper (just keep in mind that a little goes a long way).
Roast the pecans until they’re warm, fragrant, and slightly toasty. Remember to check them frequently while they’re roasting, as pecans tend to burn quite easily. When you take them out of the oven, try to resist eating them immediately, because they will be very hot!
While Roasted Spicy Maple Pecans are a perfect balance of sweet and spicy flavors, you may prefer a more savory snack instead. If that’s the case, try one of these tasty flavor combinations:
- Pick your favorite herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, or parsley. Combine these spices with salt and olive oil and roast the pecans according to the recipe.
- Experiment with more exotic spices, such as smoked paprika, turmeric, curry powder, chili powder, cumin, or Chinese five spice.
- Use a simple seasoning, such as a cracked black pepper and salt blend or a lemon pepper seasoning.
Roasted Spicy Maple Pecans
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups pecan halves shelled
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss the pecans together with remaining ingredients on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Spread into a single layer.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes, checking every 10 minutes to be sure the pecans do not burn.
- Remove the pecans from the oven and place them on wax paper in a single layer to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What are your favorite flavors for roasted pecans? Share your ideas with us in the comments section below. If you enjoyed this healthy snack recipe, we think you may also like:
Do you want more scrumptious recipes? Get them sent directly to your inbox! First, subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Then, follow us on Instagram and Pinterest to not only get fantastic healthy recipes, but also to receive exercise tips, meal plans, and more!