Full of the flavors of garlic and fresh thyme, these potatoes will satisfy your craving for comfort food. Made with milk instead of heavy cream, this healthy scalloped potato dish will be your go-to potato recipe for any occasion. Low-fat cheese gives it a bit of flavor and a crispy top, but feel free to leave off the cheese if you’re trying to cut back; you’ll be surprised at how delicious these potatoes are on their own!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup |Calories: 235 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 6 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 28 mg | Sodium: 159 mg | Carbohydrates: 30 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 10 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 pounds potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put all of the ingredients except for the potatoes and cheese in a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Layer the potatoes in in a casserole dish, seasoning with salt and pepper between layers. Pour the milk overtop and cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes and remove from oven.
- Top with the cheese and bake for 15-20 more minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbly.
Looking for entrees or desserts to serve alongside this delicious dish? Be sure to like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.