Tacos are wonderful, but they can also be high in calories and fat. Try a shrimp taco pita pocket for a lighter taco treat. Shrimp is high in protein and low in fat, and whole-wheat pitas are a great source of fiber. If you top them with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, you’ll get an extra protein punch and some gut-friendly probiotics. Pack up one of these pita pockets for lunch to add some excitement to your work day. They’re so good that the kids will love them, too!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 pita taco | Calories: 239 | Total Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 139mg | Sodium: 501mg | Carbohydrates: 26g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 22g | SmartPoints: 6
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 jalapeno, stem and seeds removed sliced into thin strips
- 4 radish, cut into thin discs
- 1/4 cup red onion, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces raw shrimp
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 large whole wheat pitas, cut in half
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 4 tablespoons low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- In a small sauce pot, heat vinegar, water, and honey just until boiling. Place jalapeno, radish, and red onion in an air tight container and pour hot liquid over the top. Place cover on container and set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in medium saute pan. Add shrimp, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper. Cook until shrimp are firm and have turned pink, no grey should remain on the shrimp. Remove from heat and add lime juice and cilantro. Gently toss to coat shrimp.
- Carefully cut a pocket into the pita halves. Divide arugula evenly between each pita and stuff into pocket, repeat with the shrimp. Gently spoon jalapeno, radish, and onions out of vinegar bath, reserving the liquid. Top shrimp with the radish mixture and drizzle about 1 teaspoon of the reserved vinegar over the stuffed pita. Finish each pita taco with 1 tablespoon of sour cream or Greek yogurt. Serve and enjoy!