Quinoa and black beans make the perfect combination. We love the easy prep of this one-pot meal.
If you’re a quinoa hold-out, but love Mexican food, this dish will convince you to make quinoa a regular part of your dinner menu. Skinny Quinoa with Black Beans is a perfect alternative to your traditional rice and beans recipes. The combination of quinoa, black beans, tomatoes, and spices, like cumin, chili powder, and fresh cilantro, make this delicious dish a family favorite. Plus, this recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free! As superfoods, quinoa and black beans contain the vitamins and minerals you need to help fight cancer, lower cholesterol, and so much more. The benefits are endless. Learn more about the health benefits of quinoa here. To add more flavor, not to mention nutritional power, top this recipe with sliced avocado. Make a little extra and enjoy Skinny Quinoa with Black Beans in a tasty a burrito the next day.
Skinny Quinoa with Black Beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion or sweet onion, medium, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup quinoa uncooked - rinsed (red or white will work)
- 15 ounces black beans can - low sodium preferred, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 4 1/2 ounces diced green chilis can
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes can
- 1/2 cup cilantro freshly chopped
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth low sodium
- In a large skillet add olive oil, turn to medium-low heat and saute diced onions until tender, about 4 minutes, add garlic and saute one additional minute. Add the remaining ingredients in the order listed above. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low boil and cook 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit 5 minutes covered before serving. Fluff quinoa with a large spoon and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Be sure to check out our recipe for Qunioa Protein Bars, another Skinny Ms. favorite.