If you’re looking for a healthy soup recipe, you may find it hard to make something that tastes good. You’ll love this broccoli and asparagus soup that tastes indulgent, but is actually pretty good for you. Topped with spicy cheddar and garlic croutons, this will quickly become one of your favorite slow cooker soups. A touch of lemon juice added near the end helps the soup keep its bright green color, and a sprinkling of raw broccoli or asparagus adds texture and additional flavor. This is delicious served as an appetizer or paired with a green salad for a light main course.
In need of new slow cooker recipes? SkinnyMs. has got you covered. Check out our other Slow Cooker Recipes.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup soup and about 6 croutons | Calories: 303| Total Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 8 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 33 mg | Sodium: 343 mg | Carbohydrates: 30 g | Dietary Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 11 g | Protein: 14 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or flour
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 bunch asparagus spears, trimmed and chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock, fat-free and low-sodium
- 2 cups milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 slices good quality whole grain bread, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter. When melted add the cornstarch (or flour) and stir until bubbly. Add the chopped onion and cook for about 3 minutes until onion is soft. Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Add the broccoli and asparagus and stir until coated.
- Transfer this mixture to your slow cooker pot and add the stock to cover. Cook on low heat, until the vegetables are soft, about 6-8 hours.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until desired consistency. Pour back in the crockpot and stir in the milk and lemon juice. Heat until soup is hot throughout. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the bread cubes with the olive oil, chili powder, and cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven until crisp, stirring once, about 10 minutes.
- Serve the soup topped with the croutons, additional cheese, and pieces of broccoli or asparagus spears if desired.
New to slow cooking? Check out our 12 Rules of Slow Cooking.
Have you tried any of our slow cooker recipes? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.