A warm meal that tastes just like home.
No matter where you are, a bite of this savory Slow Cooker Bean & Potato Soup will bring you home. It simmers with the soothing comforts of a home-cooked meal shared with friends and family. The dish combines just the right amount of spices, potatoes, and beans to hit the spot on a bitterly cold day and satisfy any growling stomach.
Potatoes deliver a decadent, thick texture that pairs perfectly with chewy beans and warm, slow-cooked veggies. The slow cooker allows the array of spices and juicy vegetables to fuse together into one flavorful soup. Did we mention it’s a breeze to make? Simply toss the ingredients together and your appliance takes care of the rest! Nothing beats being greeted by this soup’s mouthwatering aroma after a long day at work.
Slow Cooker Bean & Potato Soup
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes peeled and chopped (about 3- 4 cups chopped)
- 31 ounces northern beans cans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup onions or shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons rosemary fresh, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano fresh, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves fresh or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional, more or less for spiciness desired
- 4 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock, low-sodium
- 1 parmesan rind or 1 (2-inch) piece parmesan, optional*
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Add all ingredients to the crockpot and stir. Allow to cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- *Note that adding the parmesan rind or a piece of parmesan adds a lot of savory flavor to the soup. Remove it before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more hearty recipes and powerful workouts, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Subscribe to our newsletter for VIP access to Skinny Ms. updates!
What soups would you like to see from the Skinny Ms. kitchens? Let us know!
I have been cooking this soup for over 6 hours and the potatoes are not cooked yet. Are they supposed to be a little crunchy?
Lynda, Hmmmm…the potatoes should be done after 6 hours. No, they should not be crunchy. Did you cut them into small pieces? I would recommend breaking them up as much as possible and check in 30 minutes. Keep us posted. 🙂
I think that my slow cooker might be going bad. The carrots and celery are not cooked either, although everything is hof. I have transferred the soup to Mother crock pot and will see how it does now.
Fingers crossed! 🙂
I cut them into small pieces. I just checked them and they are still hard.
Can you freeze this?
Yes! Just seal in an air-tight container.
What are northern beans ? are they like cannellini beans
Caz, Pretty much. You can also use navy beans.
The oregano, thyme and rosemary have no place in this recipe. Their flavors do not blend well with the beans.
We’re sorry to hear you did not care for the herbs in this recipe! Please feel leave out ingredients you do not care for from the recipe!