No matter where you are, a bite of this savory Slow Cooker Bean & Potato Soup will bring you home. It simmers with the soothing comforts of a home-cooked meal shared with friends and family. The dish combines just the right amount of spices, potatoes, and beans to hit the spot on a bitterly cold day and satisfy any growling stomach.
Potatoes deliver a decadent, thick texture that pairs perfectly with chewy beans and warm, slow-cooked veggies. The slow cooker allows the array of spices and juicy vegetables to fuse together into one flavorful soup. Did we mention it’s a breeze to make? Simply toss the ingredients together and your appliance takes care of the rest! Nothing beats being greeted by this soup’s mouthwatering aroma after a long day at work.
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 287 | Total Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 91mg | Carbohydrates: 53g | Fiber: 10g | Sugars: 2g | Protein: 13g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8 |
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 3- 4 cups chopped)
- 2 cans northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped onions or shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional, more or less for spiciness desired
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 parmesan rind or 1 (2-inch) piece parmesan, optional*
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Add all ingredients to the crockpot and stir. Allow to cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- *Note that adding the parmesan rind or a piece of parmesan adds a lot of savory flavor to the soup. Remove it before serving.
What soups would you like to see from the SkinnyMs. kitchens? Let us know!