Bake this warm, wintry veggie casserole for a healthy and comforting dish.
Imagine that inside your warm baking dish, fresh from the oven, covered with a cheese crust, are two vegetables rich in nutrients. Broccoli is an excellent source of vitamin C, while cauliflower is rich in vitamins C, K, and manganese. Both are top sources of insoluble dietary fiber. And the health benefits don’t end there, because sprinkled abundantly among the vegetables is grated Parmigiano Reggiano, or Italian Parmesan, which is rich in calcium and protein.
This recipe is easy to prepare. It cooks low and slow for about two hours, so that you can enjoy time with family or do errands around the house while it bakes. As the flavors mingle in your oven, your home will be filled with a earthy, scrumptious aroma! When it’s finished you can serve it as a delicious vegetarian main dish, or as a side that complements any number of main entrees. Leftovers can be kept refrigerated, for a warm, hearty lunch the following day.
So, go ahead and dig in to this delicious cheesy casserole. Choose high quality cheese and fresh vegetables, and this cheesy, gooey casserole won’t leave you feeling guilty. We like to top this dish with a quickly melting low-fat cheese. With this recipe in your repertoire, you are in for a cheesy, comforting treat!
Broccoli & Cauliflower Casserole
- 7 ounces broccoli 1 medium, separated into florets
- 8 ounces cauliflower 1 medium, separated into florets
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 6 slices cheese any mild tasting kind
- Boil or steam the cauliflower and broccoli florets until fork tender, but not mushy, approximately 8-10 minutes. If boiling, drain first.
- Using a manual masher, mash the broccoli & cauliflower coarsely.
- Rub the bottom and lower sides of the slow cooker with extra virgin olive oil.
- Place the broccoli and cauliflower in the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining extra virgin olive oil, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on the top then layer the cheese, covering the whole top.
- Set on low for 2 hours.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Get more amazing Slow Cooker recipes:
We’d love to hear what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.