Mmm- this slow cooker recipe gives you tons of tasty bang for your buck! The nutritious recipe practically makes itself; your role only involves assembling ingredients and tossing them into your slow cooker! When it comes to feeding the family, a group of friends, or simply stocking up on leftover dinner for the remaining week, Slow Cooker Chili con Carne has you covered. The protein-packed lean meat marinates with juicy, flavorful vegetables like fire-roasted tomatoes and green chilis. Zesty seasonings dress up this chili con carne dish, while legumes add chewy, filling texture. Sprinkle with mozzarella or cheddar cheese if desired, to intensify the chili’s melt-in-your-mouth flavor.
Slow Cooker Chili Con Carne
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or beef
- 1 onion medium, diced
- 6 ounces tomato paste can
- 30 ounces fire roasted tomatoes cans
- 4 1/2 ounces green chilies can
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 30 ounces kidney beans cans, drained
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder unsweetened
- 2 to 3 cups water depending on thickness preferred
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese part-skim, shredded (optional)
- Add ground meat and onion to a large pot and cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain off any fat.
- Add the cooked meat and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Cover chili and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
Stove Top Method
- Cook meat and onion, in a large pot or skillet, as instructed above. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a low-boil and cook for 30-45 minutes or until thickened.
- If desired, garnish with grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese before serving.