When I need to do some grocery shopping or house cleaning, in goes the bread pudding. It cooks in 3-4 hours and is perfect for that occasional gooey chocolaty treat.
Slow Cooker Chocolate Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
- 8 cups whole wheat bread crumbs torn into 1 inch cubes (whole wheat French bread was used in this recipe)
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips Enjoy Life Chips are gluten, soy and dairy free
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar syrup unrefined, optional sucanat or wild flower honey
- 1 cup pecans diced
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup milk low fat
- 1 cup lite coconut milk can - optional almond milk or low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Lightly mist the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add bread cubes to the slow cooker. In a medium mixing bowl, combine chocolate chips, cocoa, coconut palm sugar, 3/4 cup pecans and salt. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined. Pour mixture over bread and stir until all bread is moist. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup pecans on top, cover and cook on low 3 hours. Recommend 5-7 quart slow cooker.
- In a medium saucepan, combine coconut palm sugar and cornstarch. Add milk and cook over medium-low heat, or until desired thickness. Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir to combine. Drizzle sauce over warm bread pudding, about one tablespoon per serving.
- On a tight budget? Here's how to save some money when making this recipe:A loaf of Whole Wheat French bread can be purchased at most Walmart bakeries for about .99centsUse all low-fat milk in place of coconut milk or almond milkPurchase your grocery store's chocolate chips brandOmit pecans or use a less expensive nut