This dessert is perfect for those times when your sweet tooth won't go away!
When I need to do some grocery shopping or house cleaning, in goes the bread pudding. It cooks in 3-4 hours and is perfect for that occasional gooey chocolaty treat.
Easy & Delicious Dinner Ideas For Busy Families on a Budget
Slow Cooker Chocolate Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
- 8 cups whole wheat bread crumbs torn into 1 inch cubes (whole wheat French bread was used in this recipe)
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips Enjoy Life Chips are gluten, soy and dairy free
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar syrup unrefined, optional sucanat or wild flower honey
- 1 cup pecans diced
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup milk low fat
- 1 cup lite coconut milk can - optional almond milk or low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Lightly mist the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add bread cubes to the slow cooker. In a medium mixing bowl, combine chocolate chips, cocoa, coconut palm sugar, 3/4 cup pecans and salt. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined. Pour mixture over bread and stir until all bread is moist. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup pecans on top, cover and cook on low 3 hours. Recommend 5-7 quart slow cooker.
- In a medium saucepan, combine coconut palm sugar and cornstarch. Add milk and cook over medium-low heat, or until desired thickness. Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir to combine. Drizzle sauce over warm bread pudding, about one tablespoon per serving.
- On a tight budget? Here's how to save some money when making this recipe:A loaf of Whole Wheat French bread can be purchased at most Walmart bakeries for about .99centsUse all low-fat milk in place of coconut milk or almond milkPurchase your grocery store's chocolate chips brandOmit pecans or use a less expensive nut
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Can this also be adapted for the oven?
Elaine, Yes…here you go: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine bread pudding ingredients, and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until desired consistency.
You can try, but you will have to keep it covered, because the steam is part of the cooking process in this bread pudding and it should not get too dry.
How many french bread loaves did you use for this recipe?
Catherine, I used about one loaf. It will depend on the size of the loaf.
so do i make the bread into bread crumbs or cubes?
Cubes works well.
I could only find coconut sugar. Can it be used, and do you the difference between that and coconut palm sugar?
That's the same thing.
Enjoying this now! So yummy! Thanks for the inspiration!!
Can I use Splenda or regular sugar? And if so, does the amnt need to be less,more, or the same 1/2 cup?
Marti, If you used refined regular sugar it would be the same measurement, 1/2 cup. For the splenda you will have to check with the chart on the packaging. Usually it is much less.
I only can find coconut sugar crystals and you call for a syrup. should I make a syrup out of the coconut sugar or just use the crystals/
Anne, Can you find honey? I'm not sure about the crystals.
We had this for our Christmas dinner dessert. It was amazing! I topped it with the caramel sauce, sprinkled mini Enjoy Life Chocolate chips, and a dollop of coconut whipped cream. Really heavenly!