Calling all meat lovers with massive appetites! This Slow Cooker Chunky Beef & Potato Stew is a hearty, protein-packed dish that will warm your stomach and fill you for hours. Cooked potatoes offer savory starch with a soft, buttery texture. Fire-roasted tomatoes pair beautifully with lean steak chunks as they release a range of juicy, bold flavors.
Our recipe also calls for Worcestershire sauce and nutritious spices like paprika that give the dish a zesty kick. Simply throw together these clean, wholesome ingredients and allow the appliance to work its magic. The dish serves as an ultra-satisfying, incredibly simple meal. We promise that it will become a new family favorite. As a bonus, stews are a snap to store overnight or freeze for days, so stock up!
Yields: 10 servings | Calories: 317 | Total Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 194mg | Carbohydrates: 24g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 21g | Smart Points: 10 |
- 2 pounds lean chuck or other beef stew meat, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into large bite-sized pieces
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with juice (BPA-free cans)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Whisk flour, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Dredge the beef cubes in the flour mixture.
- Place half the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place half of beef cubes into the skillet and cook on all sides, for about 30 seconds per side, or until golden. Do not cook the meat through, just brown the outside. Remove and set aside. Add the rest of the oil and the remaining beef cubes and repeat.
- Add meat pieces to the slow cooker along with the drippings. Add onions, potatoes, worcestershire sauce, and can of diced tomatoes with juice.
- Stir balsamic vinegar along with broth, garlic, oregano, paprika, and bay leaf, and add in. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours. Stir well.
- Note: For a thicker stew, combine 2 tablespoons flour with 1 tablespoon softened butter. Add and stir to the stew about 15 minutes before serving.
What slow cooker recipes would you like to see on SkinnyMs.? Let us know!