Calling all meat-lovers with massive appetites!
Now that we’re in the heart of the colder months, curling up to a belly-warming bowl of stew sounds absolutely heavenly. And honestly, nothing beats this incredible slow cooker chunky beef and potato stew! Tender, juicy beef compliments warm, decadent potatoes and bathes in an indulgent broth that simply satisfies. Our comforting stew fills you up and soothes the soul. It makes the perfect weeknight recipe to throw together in a moment’s notice, and hits the spot on a chilly night.
Massive Appetites Will Meet Their Match
This slow cooker chunky beef and potato stew gives all meat lovers out there a reason to rejoice! With its hearty, protein-packed profile, our recipe satisfies even the largest appetites, and will keep you feeling full for hours on end. Cooked potatoes turn warm and buttery in this stew. The starch pairs beautifully with fire-roasted tomatoes and lean steak chunks. Together, these key ingredients release a range of bold, juicy flavors your taste buds will go crazy for.
Aromatics like paprika give this decadent stew a zesty kick. At the same time, Worcestershire sauce lends a unique tanginess that flavors the steak chunks beautifully. Garlic and dried oregano give this beef and potato stew some impressive depth of flavor. These potent spices not only contribute to incredible taste, but they also offer powerful health benefits your body will appreciate.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chunky Beef and Potato Stew
We love easy slow cooker recipes like this one, because they’re a snap to make and loaded with flavor. With your slow cooker doing most of the work, our beef and potato stew doesn’t take a whole lot of effort on your part. This classic, nourishing meal makes for a hearty dinner and satisfying lunch the next day!
Our recipe takes just 20 minutes of your time to prep, and then you can go about the rest of your day! First, dredge your beef cubes in a mixture of flour, salt, and pepper. Afterwards, place meat in a large skillet and cook until the beef cubes are just browned on the outside. Add meat and drippings to the slow cooker, along with onions, potatoes, worcestershire sauce, and diced tomatoes. Stir in the remaining ingredients, and allow your slow cooker to take over from there!
This savory slow cooker stew lets you choose from cooking on high for 4-6 hours, or low for 8-10 hours. Both options will yield scrumptious results, so choose whatever fits within your schedule best!
For added tastiness, soak up your stew with Grandma’s Homemade Wheat Bread recipe. Yum!
This slow cooker chunky beef and potato stew serves as an ultra-satisfying, incredibly simple meal. We promise that it will become a new family favorite. As a bonus, stews like this one make wonderful leftovers when you store overnight or freeze for days, so stock up!
Slow Cooker Chunky Beef and Potato Stew
- 2 pounds lean chuck stew meat or other beef stew meat, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 3 potatoes large, peeled and chopped into large bite-sized pieces
- 14 1/2 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes can, with juice (BPA-free cans)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 cups beef broth low-sodium
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Whisk flour, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Dredge the beef cubes in the flour mixture.
- Place half the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place half of beef cubes into the skillet and cook on all sides, for about 30 seconds per side, or until golden. Do not cook the meat through, just brown the outside. Remove and set aside. Add the rest of the oil and the remaining beef cubes and repeat.
- Add meat pieces to the slow cooker along with the drippings. Add onions, potatoes, worcestershire sauce, and can of diced tomatoes with juice.
- Stir balsamic vinegar along with broth (use more or less, depending on how much liquid you like), garlic, oregano, paprika, and bay leaf, and add in. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or low for 8 to 10 hours. Stir well.
- Note: For a thicker stew, combine 2 tablespoons flour with 1 tablespoon softened butter. Add and stir to the stew about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more clean-eating slow cooker recipes the whole family will love, check out some of our top picks below!
- 15 Easy Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes
- 17 Top Slow Cooker Recipes to Lose Weight
- 21 Slow Cooker Recipes with 6 Ingredients or Fewer
- 11 Low-Fat Slow Cooker Recipes for Weight Watchers
- 50 Slow Cooker Recipes Under 299 Calories
Let us know what you thought about this beef and potato stew recipe in the comment section! For more hearty recipes and healthy lifestyle tips, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Subscribe to our newsletter for VIP access to the latest Skinny Ms. updates!
Editor’s note: This recipe was originally published on January 2, 2016.