Mashed Potatoes can usually put quite a dent in your healthy eating plan, but they taste so delicious. This is especially true when they are jazzed up with extra flavors, like cheese, chives, or garlic. Our slow cooker garlic mashed potatoes take the best of both worlds – great taste and healthy ingredients – and combine them to create one of the most delicious comfort foods available. And since it is made in the slow cooker, preparation is quick and convenient.
Mashed potatoes get a bad rap, but it is possible to make a healthier version. We couldn’t sacrifice mashed potatoes all together, so we just had to come up with a version that was far lower in fat.
Looking for nutritious holiday recipes? Check out our SkinnyMs. Holiday Recipe Round-Up!
Yields: 5 Cups | Serving Size: 1/2 Cup | Calories:144 | Total Fat: 1 gm | Saturated Fats: 1 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 2 mg | Sodium: 37 mg | Carbohydrates: 28 gm | Dietary fiber: 2 gm | Sugars: 3 gm | Protein: 5 gm | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4 |
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth, no sugar added
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup 1% milk (or more for consistency)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Prep your potatoes as usual by washing and cutting out any bad spots. Puncture holes in the potatoes with a fork (please don't stab yourself! Do this carefully!)
- Place all the potatoes in the microwave for 15 minutes on high or until they are nearly fully cooked. Caution in removing them from the microwave, they will be HOT (we learned this the hard way. Ouch!) Allow potatoes to cool enough to be able to handle them.
- While they are in the microwave, saute the garlic in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Cut cooled potatoes into slices and place in slow cooker with chicken broth. Pour the garlic on top of that and mix everything up briefly to distribute.
- Cook on low for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until the potatoes are completely cooked and soft. Remove the insert from the heating element with pot holders and place on a heat-safe surface.
- Using a hand blender or potato masher, mash the potatoes together with the milk and yogurt. Add salt to taste.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.