Warm, hearty, and protein-packed!
I’m always on the lookout for new slow cooker recipes. They make weeknight meals so much easier! I was pretty excited when I came up with this recipe for Slow Cooker Hearty White Bean Stew. It has everything you want from a stew, and so much more! The beans and ground turkey work together to create a protein-packed bowl of flavorful, full-textured soup. It’s perfect for cold winter days, but it also tastes great on fall or spring afternoons after a long hike or bike ride.
Slow Cooker Hearty White Bean Stew
This recipe starts with browning the ground turkey in a skillet. That might dirty up an extra pan, but it’s totally worth it. If you throw the entire chunk of raw ground turkey into the slow cooker, it cooks up as a large ball. It also doesn’t develop as much flavor as it will if you cook it in advance. Trust us; the Slow Cooker Hearty White Bean Stew won’t turn out the same without this step.
From there, your work is done. Simply toss the cooked ground turkey into the slow cooker along with your beans, vegetables, seasonings, and chicken broth. After six hours on low, the vegetables will be soft and tender as the stew becomes rich and thick. If you’re running short on time, you can cook the stew on high to finish it in three hours.
You can use any vegetables you like in this Slow Cooker Hearty White Bean Stew. We think the combination of white beans with savory tomatoes, sweet carrots, pungent onions, and texture-rich cabbage is just about perfect! Add in a splash of acidic apple cider vinegar and flavorful spices like smoky paprika and aromatic oregano and thyme to add depth of flavor.
It’s filling, rich, and healthy. Considering how easy it is to make, this might become your go-to Crock Pot stew recipe!
Slow Cooker Hearty White Bean Stew Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 medium yellow onion diced small
- 15 ounces canned white beans (navy or Great Northern beans work great)
- 30 ounces canned low-sodium diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced small
- 2 celery stalks diced small
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme not ground
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups green cabbage chopped
- Cook the ground turkey on a stove top, breaking into small pieces as it cooks.
- When fully cooked, drain off any excess liquid and place the cooked turkey into the slow cooker with remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Serve hot.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you love slow cooker recipes, you have to follow us on Facebook to browse through our impressive collection of recipes and videos!