Chicken, vegetables and herbs roast together perfectly. A wintertime favorite, this dish is easy to make, hearty, and delicious. And you can fill up on this slow cooker recipe! It’s packed with important nutrients and lean protein for a healthy body. Change it up and substitute some of the vegetables listed with your family’s seasonal favorites, or just add them to the mix.
Slow Cooker Herb Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 carrot peeled, sliced into 1/4 inch round pieces
- 1 parsnip peeled, sliced into 1/4 inch round pieces
- 1 pound red potatoes about 6 baby potatoes, quartered and cut into small wedges
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 yellow onion quartered and cut into small wedges
- 3 bone-in and skinless split chicken breast
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (optional 2 teaspoons dried parsley)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (optional 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (optional 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (optional 1 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- Add carrots, parsnips, potatoes onion and garlic to a medium mixing bowl. In a small bowl, combine oil, paprika, herbs, salt and pepper. Add half oil & herb mixture to vegetables, toss to coat and add to slow cooker.
- Rinse and pat chicken dry, add to the mixing bowl and pour remaining oil & herb mixture over chicken, being sure to thoroughly coat. In a large skillet, turn to medium-high heat, add chicken and lightly brown on both sides. Place chicken over vegetables, cover and cook on low 5-6 hours or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork, or chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees and vegetables are tender.