Chicken, vegetables and herbs roast together perfectly. A wintertime favorite, this dish is easy to make, hearty, and delicious. And you can fill up on this slow cooker recipe! It’s packed with important nutrients and lean protein for a healthy body. Change it up and substitute some of the vegetables listed with your family’s seasonal favorites, or just add them to the mix.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1/6 of recipe | Calories: 207 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 12 mg |Sodium: 22 mg | Carbohydrates: 23 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 7 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3 |
- 1 carrot, peeled, sliced into 1/4" round pieces
- 1 parsnip, peeled, sliced into 1/4" round pieces
- 1 pound small red potatoes, about 6 baby potatoes, quartered and cut into small wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, quartered and cut into small wedges
- 3 bone-in, split chicken breast, skinless
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, (optional 2 teaspoons dried parsley)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, (optional 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, (optional 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, (optional 1 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- Add carrots, parsnips, potatoes onion and garlic to a medium mixing bowl. In a small bowl, combine oil, paprika, herbs, salt and pepper. Add half oil & herb mixture to vegetables, toss to coat and add to slow cooker.
- Rinse and pat chicken dry, add to the mixing bowl and pour remaining oil & herb mixture over chicken, being sure to thoroughly coat. In a large skillet, turn to medium-high heat, add chicken and lightly brown on both sides. Place chicken over vegetables, cover and cook on low 5-6 hours or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork, or chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees and vegetables are tender.