Chicken and vegetables make the perfect healthy dinner combination!
This comforting Slow Cooker Herb Chicken and Vegetables dish is a wintertime favorite because it hits the spot on a chilly night. It’s hearty, featuring tender, fall-apart chicken complemented by warm, flavorful vegetables. Meanwhile, herbs like paprika, fresh sage, thyme, and rosemary add an incredible depth of flavor to this chicken recipe, making it truly unique.
As a bonus, using the slow cooker to create this one-pot wonder makes the process completely painless. You can prep this slow-cooker recipe in the morning and it’ll be ready to greet you after a long day. This simple recipe mainly calls for just two steps on your part: prepping and adding the ingredients. The slow cooker will do the rest!
Why We Adore Slow-Cooker Recipes
We love recipes like these because your slow cooker does most of the heavy lifting. And, frankly, slow and steady really does win the race. The extended cooking time actually leads to healthier meals since the ingredients preserve their nutrients more effectively when cooked slowly. Likewise, allowing your meal to heat gradually over time releases unparalleled flavor while retaining incredible moisture. In this recipe, the long, low-temperature cooking brings out a tasty juiciness in the chicken that faster cooking methods just can’t.
How to Make Slow Cooker Herb Chicken and Vegetables
To make this recipe, we’ll start by adding the chopped carrots, parsnips, potatoes, onion, and garlic to a medium mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, create a marinade by combining the oil, paprika, herbs, salt, and pepper. Divide the mixture in half, adding half of it to your vegetables and tossing them until they’re evenly coated.
The next part of the recipe focuses on the chicken. Rinse the chicken and pat it dry, adding it to the mixing bowl and pouring the remaining oil and herb mixture on top. Next, remove the chicken from the bowl and lightly brown each side in a large skillet. Place the vegetables, followed by chicken, in your slow-cooker, covering the pot and cooking it on low for five to six hours. You’ll know when the chicken is finished cooking when it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit or the juices run clear.
Nutritious, Feel-Good Ingredients
This Slow Cooker Herb Chicken and Vegetables dish will keep you full and satisfied. It’s packed with important nutrients and lean protein for a healthy body, making it a clean-eating dish with some awesome health benefits. Veggies like carrots and parsnips carry vitamins and fiber. Meanwhile, ingredients like paprika and garlic contain anti-inflammatory compounds to keep your immune system thriving.
The combination of parsnips and carrots not only tastes delicious, but these root vegetables can also boost your health. They’re a great source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and antioxidants, creating a terrific team that has a lot to offer in this slow-cooker recipe.
Don’t hesitate to customize this slow-cooker chicken and vegetables dish however you please. Switch up the veggies with some of your family’s seasonal favorites, making it a dish that can be enjoyed year-round. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Slow Cooker Herb Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 carrot peeled, sliced into 1/4 inch round pieces
- 1 parsnip peeled, sliced into 1/4 inch round pieces
- 1 pound red potatoes about 6 baby potatoes, quartered and cut into small wedges
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 yellow onion quartered and cut into small wedges
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (optional 2 teaspoons dried parsley)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (optional 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (optional 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (optional 1 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- Add carrots, parsnips, potatoes onion and garlic to a medium mixing bowl. In a small bowl, combine oil, paprika, herbs, salt and pepper. Add half oil & herb mixture to vegetables, toss to coat and add to slow cooker.
- Rinse and pat chicken dry, add to the mixing bowl and pour remaining oil & herb mixture over chicken, being sure to thoroughly coat. In a large skillet, turn to medium-high heat, add chicken and lightly brown on both sides. Place chicken over vegetables, cover and cook on low 5-6 hours or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork, or chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees and vegetables are tender.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Hungry For More?
If you enjoyed this scrumptious slow-cooker dish, check out some of these simple, savory slow cooker-meals:
- Slow Cooker Recipes That Will Help You Lose Weight
- 21 Healthy Low-Carb Meals to Make in the Slow Cooker
- 20 Comforting Winter Slow Cooker Meals
- 15 Easy Desserts You Can Make in a Slow Cooker
Editor’s note: This recipe was originally published on November 5, 2012.